Towards New Production Technologies: 3D Printing of Scintillators
This critical review aims to note advances in 3D printing for the scintillation community. A few main 3D printing techniques were reviewed and compared. Technical limitations and practical challenges are emphasized, and design considerations are also discussed.
We would like to thank Drs. D.A. Komissarenko, P.V. Evdokimov and V.I. Putlyaev for very useful comments. We also wish to acknowledge P.V. Karpyuk and D.E. Kuznetsova for his technical assistance. The work was financially supported by a grant No. 14.W03.31.0004 from Ministry of Science and Education of the Russian Federation. The measurements were performed using equipment of NRC “Kurchatov institute”—IREA shared analytical facilities center.
- 5.R.B. Osman, A.J. van der Veen, D. Huiberts, D. Wismeijer, N. Alharbi, 3D-printing zirconia implants; a dream or a reality? An in-vitro study evaluating the dimensional accuracy, surface topography and mechanical properties of printed zirconia implant and discs. J. Mech. Behav. Biomed. Mater. 75, 521–528 (2017)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.H. Kodama, A scheme for three-dimensional display by automatic fabrication of three-dimensional model. IEICE Trans. Electron. J64–C, 237–241 (1981). (Japanese Edition)Google Scholar
- 23.M. Molitch-Hou, Additive Manufacturing: Materials, Processes, Quantifications and Applications, Ed. by J. Zhang, Y.-G. Jung (2018) 352pGoogle Scholar
- 27.M.A. Gibson, N.M. Mykulowycz, J. Shim, R. Fontana, P. Schmitt, A. Roberts, J. Ketkaew, L. Shao, W. Chen, P. Bordeenithikasem, J.S. Myerberg, R. Fulop, M.D. Verminski, E.M. Sachs, Y. Chiang, C.A. Schuh, A.J. Hart, J. Schroers, 3D printing metals like thermoplastics: fused filament fabrication of metallic glasses. Mater. Today 21, 697–702 (2018)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 32.P.R. Martinez, A.W. Basit, S. Gaisford, 3D Printing of Pharmaceuticals (2018) 246pGoogle Scholar