Thermal Neutron Detector Based on LaOBr:Ce/LiF
The work follows up the previous studies which proved the group of lanthanide oxybromides (LnOBr) to be very sensitive to the detection of heavy particles and therefore suitable for the detection of neutrons when mixed with appropriate conversion material. From the group of LnOBr, lanthanum oxybromide activated by cerium (LaOBr:Ce) showed to be the most sensitive for detection of a charged particle, e.g. alpha particles. This led to the construction on novel small thermal neutron probe based on the mixture of LaOBr:Ce and lithium-6 fluoride fixed on the thin optical carrier and optically coupled on 1″ PMT. The detection efficiency and effective n/γ separation were partially successful using pulse shape discrimination. The results were compared to the reference detection system based on standard ZnS:Ag/LiF mixture.
This project TE01020445 was provided with the financial support of the Technology Agency of the Czech Republic.
- 3.J.B. Mosset, A. Stoykov, U. Greuter, A. Gromov, M. Hildebrandt, T. Panzner, N. Schlumpf, A 16-ch module for thermal neutron detection using ZnS:6LiF scintillator with embedded WLS fibers coupled to SiPMs and its dedicated readout electronics. Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res. A 845, 494–498 (2017)ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.H.B. Bhandari, S.R. Miller, J. Glodo, V.V. Nagarkar, Structured GdI3:Ce scintillators for X-ray and neutron imaging (NSS/MIC, Seoul, 2013)Google Scholar
- 10.M.D. Birowosuto, Novel gamma-ray and thermal-neutron scintillators: search for high-light-yield and fast response materials (IOS Press, Amsterdam, 2007)Google Scholar
- 12.S.M. Carturan, T. Marchi, G. Maggioni, F. Gramegna, M. Degerlier, M. Cinausero, M. D. Palma, A. Quaranta. Thermal neutron detection by entrapping 6LiF nanocrystals in siloxane scintillators. J. Phys.: Conf. Ser. 620 (2015)Google Scholar
- 13.A.N. Mabe, J.D. Auxier, M.J. Urffer, S.A. Young, D. Penumadu, G.K. Schweitzer, L.F. Miller, Thin film polymer composite scintillators for thermal neutron detection. J. Compos. (2013)Google Scholar
- 14.L. Fiserova, J. Janda, Thermal neutron detection using lanthanide oxybromides, in LumDeTr 2018 Conference (Prague, 2018)Google Scholar
- 15.W.M. Yen, J. Weber, Inorganic Phosphors: Compositions, Preparation and Optical Properties (CRC Press, 2004)Google Scholar
- 19.K. Yang, P.R. Menge, V. Ouspenski, Li co-doped NaI: Tl—a large volume neutron-gamma scintillator with exceptional pulse shape discrimination. IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci. 64(8), 2406–2413 (2017)Google Scholar