Concurrent Topological Optimization of a Multi-component Arm for a Tube Bending Machine
In this paper the problem of the concurrent topological optimization of two different bodies sharing a region of the design space is dealt with. This design problem focuses on the simultaneous optimization of two bodies (components) where not only the material distribution of each body has to be optimized but also the design space has to be divided among the two bodies. This novel optimization formulation represents a design problem in which more than one component has to be located inside a limited allowable room. Each component has its function and load carrying requirements.
The paper presents a novel development in the solution algorithm. The algorithm has been already presented referring to the concurrent optimization of two bodies where the same mesh is used for both bodies in the shared portion of the domain. In this version of the algorithm, this requirement has been removed and each of the two bodies can be meshed with an arbitrary mesh. This development allows the application of the method to any real geometry. The algorithm is applied to the design of a multi-component arm for a tube bending machine.
KeywordsStructural optimization Topology optimization Multi-component system optimization SIMP
- 1.BLM Group. http://www.blmgroup.com. Accessed 24 Jan 2019
- 2.Ballo, F., Gobbi, M., Previati, G.: Concurrent topological optimisation: optimisation of two components sharing the design space. In: EngOpt 2018 Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Engineering Optimization, pp. 725–738. Springer International Publishing, Cham (2019)Google Scholar
- 8.Previati, G., Ballo, F., Gobbi, M.: Concurrent topological optimization of two bodies sharing design space: problem formulation and numerical solution. Struct. Multidiscip. Optim. (2018)Google Scholar
- 11.Strömberg, N.: Topology optimization of orthotropic elastic design domains with mortar contact conditions. In: Schumacher, A., Vietor, T., Fiebig, S., Bletzinger, K.-U., Maute, K. (eds.) Advances in Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization: Proceedings of the 12th World Congress of Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, pp. 1427–1438. Springer International Publishing, Braunschweig, Germany (2018)Google Scholar
- 13.Zhang, W., Zhu, J., Gao, T.: Topology Optimization in Engineering Structure Design. Elsevier, Oxford (2016)Google Scholar