Paleomagnetism and Petromagnetism of Sedimentary Rocks of the Zhuravlevka-Amur Terrane (Junction Zone Between the Sikhote-Alin and Mongol-Okhotsk Orogenic Belts)
This paper presents paleomagnetic data on the Berriasian-Valanginian sandstones of the Gorinskaya and Pionerskaya Formations of the Komsomolskaya Group from the coastal outcrops of the Sakhalin Bay (54.09° N, 140.05° E). Structurally, these rocks belong to the Zhuravlevka-Amur (ZhA) terrane of the Sikhote-Alin orogenic belt. Paleomagnetic studies indicate that these rocks were formed at a latitude of 10°–18° N, which is comparable to paleolatitudes (10° N–4° S) obtained previously from the Berriasian-Valanginian basalts of the Rozhdestvenskaya Formation (Sakhalin Island). The obtained paleolatitude means that after 140 Ma the Zhuravlevka-Amur terrane drifted northward by over 4000 km along the continental margin of Eurasia at an average rate of about 10 cm/year.
KeywordsContinental margin Paleomagnetism Paleolatitude Sikhote-Alin orogenic belt
The authors express their sincere thanks and gratitude to A. A. Kosterov and A. Yu. Kazansky. The article benefited greatly from their comments and suggestions. The authors would also like to thank T. L. Koryakina for translating the article into English.
Rock-magnetic studies were funded by RFBR according to the research project № 18-35-00048. Paleomagnetic studies were supported by the Russian Science Foundation (project no. 16-17-00015).
- 2.Didenko, A.N., Peskov, A.Yu., Kudymov, A.V., Voinova, I.P., Tikhomirova, A.I., Arkhipov, M.V.: Paleomagnetism and accretionary tectonics of northern Sikhote Alin. Izv. Phys. Solid Earth 53(5), 733–749 (2017)Google Scholar
- 3.Enkin, R.J.: A Computer Program Package for Analysis and Presentation of Paleomagnetic Data, 16 p. Pacific Geoscience Centre, Geological Survey of Canada (1994)Google Scholar
- 4.Khanchuk, A.I. (ed.): Geodynamics, Magmatism and Metallogeny of the Russian East, 981 p. + colour map. In 2 books. Dal’nauka, Vladivostok (2006) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 5.Golozybov, V.V.: Tectonics of Jurassic and Lower Cretaceous Complexes in North-Western Margins of Pacific Ocean, 239 p. Dal’nauka, Vladivostok (2006) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 6.Kaidalov, V.A., Anoikin, V.I., Belomestnova, T.D.: State Geological Map of the Russian Federation. Scale 1: 200 000. Sheet M-54-I. Explanatory Notes, 185 p. VSEGEI, St. Petersburg (2009) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 8.Metelkin, D.V., Kazansky, A.Y.: The Essentials of Magnetotectonics: Tutorial, 27 p. Novosibirsk University, Novosibirsk (2014) (in Russian)Google Scholar