Canada, the US and Eurozone: Implications for US Reforms
Selected social policies in Canada and the Eurozone are considered and compared to the US. Hence, several policy options for US reforms can be identified. Moreover, one can draw conclusions with respect to US trade policy and economic policy. It is stressed how important EU27 reform—post-Brexit—is, since otherwise the world economy will be shaped by the dominance of the US and China, and no significant external impulses for a social market economy in the US would play a role. The risk of structural US populism is emphasized. Without institutional stabilization in the Western world, the global economy will fall back into a new Grand Powers regime reminiscent of the nineteenth century—with the US and China as leaders.
- Allard, C. Koeva Brooks, P., Bluedorn, J. C., Bornhorst, F., Ohnsorge, F. L., & Christopherson Puh, K. M.. (2013). Toward a Fiscal Union for the Euro Area. IMF Staff Discussion Note SDN 13/09. Washington, DC: IMF.Google Scholar
- Brandolini, A., & Smeeding, T. (2007). Inequality Patterns in Western-Type Democracies: Cross-Country Differences and Time Changes. Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic Economics, No. 8. Turin, Italy.Google Scholar
- Canberra Group. (2001). Expert Group on Household Income Statistics: Final Report and Recommendations. Ottawa: Canberra Group.Google Scholar
- IMF. (2018). United States of America: Staff Concluding Statement of the 2018 Article IV Mission, dated June 14, 2018, Country Report 18/207. IMF: Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- OECD. (2017, May). Basic Income as a Policy Option: Can it Add Up? In Policy Brief on the Future of Work. Paris: OECD Publishing.Google Scholar
- Rawls, J. (1971). A Theory of Justice. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press/Belknap.Google Scholar
- Sabbagh, D. (2019). Brexit ‘Can Enhance UK’s Lethality’, Says Defence Secretary. The Guardian, February 11. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/11/brexit-uk-military-defence-gavin-williamson.
- Schroth, Y. (2014). Europawahl 2014, Presentation at the state chancellery of North-Rhine Westphalia, Düsselforf, 27 May 2014.Google Scholar
- US Commercial Service. (2015). Singapore: Healthcare Overview. Washington, DC: United States of America Department of Commerce.Google Scholar
- Welfens, P. J. J. (2018a). Perspektiven einer künftigen EU-Sozialpolitik: Schwerpunkte, Instrumente, Zuständigkeiten, Konfliktlinien [Perspectives on a future EU Social Policy: Key Areasm Instruments, Competences and Conflict Areas]. Presentation at the Workshop Financial and Social Policy—A Conflict Area in the European Single Market Hosted by the German Federal Ministry of Finance, Berlin, 23 April 2018.Google Scholar
- Welfens, P. J. J. (2018b). Import Tariffs, Foreign Direct Investment and Innovation: A New View on Growth and Protectionism. EIIW Discussion Paper No. 252, www.eiiw.eu.
- Wolff, E. N., Zacharias, A., Masterson, T., Eren, S., Sharpe, A., & Hazell, H. (2012, January). A Comparison of Inequality and Living Standards in Canada and the United States Using an Expanded Measure of Economic Well-Being. Working Paper No. 703, Levi Economics Institute of Bard College.Google Scholar
- Wolfson, M., & Murphy, B. (1998). New Views on Inequality Trends in Canada and the United States. Monthly Labor Review, 121(4), 3–23.Google Scholar