CoRA: An Online Intelligent Tutoring System to Practice Coverability Graph Construction
While teaching Petri nets, many students face difficulties in constructing coverability graphs from Petri nets. Providing students with individual feedback becomes infeasible in large classes.
In this paper, we present CoRA: the Coverability and Reachability graph Assistant. It is an online intelligent tutoring system designed to support users in constructing a coverability graph for a Petri net. Its main goal is to provide additional tutorial support to students, so they can practice on their own and ask questions to staff when required. CoRA is capable of giving personalized feedback; whenever a user submits a solution CoRA provides targeted feedback stating what is correct in what is not. CoRA’s feedback is designed to be both guiding and informational; a user should be able to understand what went wrong and how they can improve their graph.
KeywordsPetri nets Coverability graph Education Intelligent tutoring
- 1.van der Aalst, W.M.P., Stahl, C.: Modeling Business Processes–A Petri Net-Oriented Approach. Cooperative Information Systems Series. MIT Press (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Brooke, J., et al.: SUS-a quick and dirty usability scale. In: Usability Evaluation in Industry, vol. 189, no. 194, pp. 4–7 (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Corbett, A.T., Anderson, J.R.: Lisp intelligent tutoring system: research in skill acquisition. In: Computer-Assisted Instruction and Intelligent Tutoring Systems: Shared Goals and Complementary Approaches, pp. 73–109 (1992)Google Scholar
- 7.Fielding, R.T., Taylor, R.N.: Architectural styles and the design of network-based software architectures, vol. 7. University of California, Irvine Doctoral dissertation (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Freytag, T., Sänger, M.: WoPeD - an educational tool for workflow nets. In: Proceedings of the BPM Demo Sessions, CEUR Workshop Proceedings, vol. 1295, pp. 31–35 (2014). CEUR-WS.org
- 9.van Hee, K.M., Oanea, O., Post, R.D.J., Somers, L.J., van der Werf, J.M.E.M.: Yasper: a tool for workflow modeling and analysis. In: ACSD, pp. 279–282 (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Kapp, K.M.: The Gamification of Learning and Instruction: Game-based Methods and Strategies for Training and Education. Wiley (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Passier, H.J.M.: Aspects of Feedback in Intelligent Tutoring Systems for Modeling Education. PhD thesis, Open University, The Netherlands (2013)Google Scholar
- 13.Reichheld, F.F.: The one number you need to grow. Harvard Bus. Rev. 81(12), 46–55 (2003)Google Scholar
- 14.Sauro, J.: Does better usability increase customer loyalty? (2010). https://measuringu.com/usability-loyalty/. Accessed 05 July 2018