Parallelization of the GreConD Algorithm for Boolean Matrix Factorization
Boolean matrix factorization (BMF) is a well established and widely used tool for data analysis. Vast majority of existing algorithms for BMF is based on some greedy strategy which makes them highly sequential, thus unsuited for parallel execution. We propose a parallel variant of well-known BMF algorithm—GreConD, which is able to distribute workload among multiple parallel threads, hence can benefit from modern multicore CPUs. The proposed algorithm is based on formal concept analysis, intended for shared memory computers, and significantly reducing computation time of BMF via parallel execution.
KeywordsBoolean matrix factorization Parallel algorithm GreConD Formal concept analysis
- 1.Andrews, G.R.: Foundations of Multithreaded, Parallel, and Distributed Programming. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Ene, A., Horne, W.G., Milosavljevic, N., Rao, P., Schreiber, R., Tarjan, R.E.: Fast exact and heuristic methods for role minimization problems. In: Ray, I., Li, N. (eds.) 13th ACM Symposium on Access Control Models and Technologies, SACMAT 2008, Estes Park, CO, USA, 11–13 June 2008, Proceedings, pp. 1–10. ACM (2008). https://doi.org/10.1145/1377836.1377838
- 8.Krajca, P., Outrata, J., Vychodil, V.: Advances in algorithms based on CbO. In: Kryszkiewicz, M., Obiedkov, S.A. (eds.) Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Concept Lattices and Their Applications, Sevilla, Spain, 19–21 October 2010. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, vol. 672, pp. 325–337. CEUR-WS.org (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Stockmeyer, L.J.: The Set Basis Problem is NP-complete. Research reports, IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Division (1975)Google Scholar
- 14.Tatti, N., Mielikäinen, T., Gionis, A., Mannila, H.: What is the dimension of your binary data? In: Proceedings of the 6th IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM 2006), Hong Kong, China, 18–22 December 2006, pp. 603–612. IEEE Computer Society (2006). https://doi.org/10.1109/ICDM.2006.167