- 686 Downloads
Adolescence marks a transitional period from childhood to adulthood and has unique implications regarding health and wellness. During this period, factors such as puberty, sexuality, self-identification, and peer relationships tend to significantly impact an individual’s journey toward adulthood.
KeywordsAdolescence Routine health visit Eating disorders Substance abuse Sexually transmitted diseases
The author gratefully acknowledges the contribution of Marwa Abdou, MD, Department of Pediatrics, Texas Tech University Health Center, El Paso, Texas, USA, to the 1st edition of this chapter, many of which have been incorporated into this edition as well.
- 3.Sherer S, Radzik M. Psychosocial development in normal adolescents and young adults. In: Rickert V, Joffe A, Gordon C, Callhan T, Katzman D, Neinstein L, editors. Neinstein’s adolescent and young adult health care: a practical guide. 6th ed. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer; 2016. p. 38–41.Google Scholar
- 4.Boonstra H, Nash E. Special analysis. Minors and the right to consent to health care. Guttmacher Rep Public Policy. 2000;3(4):4–8. https://www.guttmacher.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/pubs/tgr/03/4/gr030404.pdf. Accessed 17 Nov 2018.Google Scholar
- 10.Emans SJ, Laufer MR. Emans, Laufer, Goldstein’s pediatric and adolescent gynecology. 6th ed. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2012.Google Scholar
- 11.Curtis KM, Tepper NK, Jatlaoui TC, Berry-Bibee E, Horton LG, Zapata LB, et al. U.S. medical eligibility criteria for contraceptive use, 2016. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2016;65(3):1–103. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/65/rr/rr6503a1.htm. Accessed 17 Nov 2018CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Sexually transmitted disease surveillance 2016. Atlanta: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; 2017. https://www.cdc.gov/std/stats16/CDC_2016_STDS_Report-for508WebSep21_2017_1644.pdf. Accessed 17 Nov 2018Google Scholar
- 14.Saslow D, Solomon D, Lawson HW, Killackey M, Kulasingam SL, Cain J, et al. American Cancer Society, American Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology, and American Society for Clinical Pathology screening guidelines for the prevention and early detection of cervical cancer. CA Cancer J Clin. 2012;62(3):147–72.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Work Group on Eating Disorders. Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with eating disorders. 3rd ed. Arlington: American Psychiatric Association; 2006.Google Scholar