- 703 Downloads
This chapter is a brief but comprehensive overview of topics that will be tested in the Pediatric Boards. It covers a wide range of conditions, including benign hematology, malignant hematology, bone tumors, brain tumors, and abdominal masses. It discusses the differential diagnoses, pathophysiology, workup, classic laboratory features, and treatment options for a range of pediatric hematologic and oncologic conditions. This is a high yield review for the pediatric boards.
KeywordsAnemia Hemoglobinopathy Thrombocytopenia Tumors Leukemia Lymphoma Bone marrow failure
The authors gratefully acknowledge the contributions of Staci Bryson, MD, and Arlynn F. Mulne, MD, Department of Pediatrics, Paul L. Foster School of Medicine, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, El Paso, Texas, USA, to the 1st edition of this chapter, from which some images and tables have been incorporated into this edition as well.
- 1.Kliegman R, Stanton B, St. Geme JW III, Schor NF, Behrman RE, editors. Nelson textbook of pediatrics. Philadelphia: Elsevier; 2016.Google Scholar
- 2.Loghavi S, Hasserjian RP. Cytopenias: reactive and neoplastic. In: Wang SA, Hasserjian RP, editors. Diagnosis of blood and bone marrow disorders. Cham: Springer International. p. 17–80.Google Scholar
- 3.Rogers HJ. Normal bone marrow. In: George TI, Arber DA, editors. Atlas of bone marrow pathology. New York: Science+Business Media; 2018.Google Scholar
- Adams M, Jenney M, Lazarou L, White R, Birdsall S, Staab T, et al. Acute myeloid leukaemia after treatment for acute lymphoblastic leukaemia in girl with Bloomsyndrome. J Genet Syndr Gene Ther. 2013;4(8). pii: 1000177.Google Scholar
- Horton TM, Steuber CP, Aster JC. Park JR, editor. Overview of the clinical presentation and diagnosis of acute lymphoblastic leukemia/lymphoma in children. Waltham: UpToDate. http://www.uptodate.com. Accessed 24 Dec 2018.
- Karimi M. Guidelines for diagnosis and management of Beta-thalassemia intermedia. Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2014–10;31:583–96.Google Scholar
- Kliegman R, Stanton B, St. Geme JW III, Schor NF, Behrman RE, editors. Nelson textbook of pediatrics. Philadelphia: Elsevier; 2016.Google Scholar
- Lipton JM. Evaluation of pancytopenia. BMJ Best Practice (database). 2018. https://bestpractice.bmj.com/topics/en-us/1024. Accessed 24 Dec 2018.
- McClain KL. Kaplan SL, Mahoney Jr DH, Drutz JE, editors. Peripheral lymphadenopathy in children: evaluation and diagnostic approach. Waltham: UpToDate. http://www.uptodate.com. Accessed 24 Dec 2018.
- Nathan DG, Oski FA, Orkin SH, editors. Nathan and Oski’s hematology and oncology of infancy and childhood, vol. 2. Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders; 2015.Google Scholar
- Rai KR, Stilgenbauer S, Aster JC. Larson RA, editor. Clinical features and diagnosis of chronic lymphocytic leukemia/small lymphocytic lymphoma. Waltham: UpToDate Inc. http://www.uptodate.com. Accessed 24 Dec 2018.
- Schrier SL. Mahoney Jr DH, editor. Acquired aplastic anemia in children and adolescents. Waltham: UpToDate. http://www.uptodate.com (Accessed 24 Dec 2018
- Van Etten RA. Larson RA, editor. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of chronic myeloid leukemia. Waltham: UpToDate. http://www.uptodate.com. Accessed 24 Dec 2018