Modeling of Elastic-Flexible Cables with Time-Varying Length for Cable-Driven Parallel Robots
Cable-driven parallel robots use elastic-flexible cables for operation due to their advantages over rigid-link joints. In state-of-the-art modeling of cable-driven parallel robots, cables are mostly kinematics based and contain no explicit consideration of their dynamics. Experimental observations show these simplifications do not hold true in various scenarios where the cable-driven parallel robot becomes uncontrollable. We revisit the kinematics-based cable models and present a cable model empowering Cosserat rod theory for which the deflected configuration is formulated through higher-order Bézier curves. Numerical time integration of the dynamics is performed using an energy-momentum conserving integration scheme. The applicability of our cable model is exemplified on a planar cable robot with 3 degrees of freedom.
Keywordscable-driven parallel robot cable modeling multi-body simulation symplectic integration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors Ph.T.and A.P.would like to thank the German Research Foundation (DFG) for financial support of the project within the Cluster of Excellence in Simulation Technology (EXC 310/2) at the University of Stuttgart.
- Antman, S.S.: Nonlinear Problems of Elasticity. Applied Mathematical Sciences. Springer-Verlag, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- Arnold, M.: Simulation Algorithms in Vehicle System Dynamics (2004)Google Scholar
- Ayala Cuevas, J.I., Laroche, É., Piccin, O.: Assumed-Mode-Based Dynamic Model for Cable Robots with Non-straight Cables. In: Gosselin, C., Cardou, P., Bruckmann, T., Pott, A. (eds.) Cable-Driven Parallel Robots: Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Cable-Driven Parallel Robots, Mechanisms and Machine Science, pp. 15–25. Springer International Publishing, Cham (2018)Google Scholar
- Irvine, H.M.: Studies in the statics and dynamics of simple cable systems. California Institute of Technology (1974)Google Scholar
- Mankala, K.K., Agrawal, S.K.: Dynamic Modeling and Simulation of Satellite Tethered Systems. In: Volume 5: 19th Biennial Conference on Mechanical Vibration and Noise, Parts A, B, and C, pp. 379–388. ASME (2003)Google Scholar
- Michelin, M., Baradat, C., Nguyen, D.Q., Gouttefarde, M.: Simulation and Control with XDE and Matlab/Simulink of a Cable-Driven Parallel Robot (CoGiRo). In: Pott, A., Bruckmann, T. (eds.) Cable-Driven Parallel Robots, Mechanisms and Machine Sciences, vol. 32, pp. 71–83. Springer International Publishing, Cham (2015)Google Scholar
- Tempel, P., Schmidt, A., Haasdonk, B., Pott, A.: Application of the Rigid Finite Element Method to the Simulation of Cable-Driven Parallel Robots. In: Zeghloul, S., Romdhane, L., Laribi, M.A. (eds.) Computational Kinematics, Mechanisms and Machine Sciences, pp. 198−205. Springer International Publishing, Cham (2018)Google Scholar