Twenty-First Century APN Leadership
- 933 Downloads
This chapter introduces the reader to the concept of APN leadership from the broad perspective of nursing organizations, advocates for changes in the health care environment and nurses who are positioning the field to expand and improve care for all populations. The chapter explains five skills which will enable more effective leadership. Finally, the chapter concludes with the perspective a relatively young nurse being mentored to as an emerging nurse leader.
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Global Health. Triple impact—How developing nursing will improve health, promote gender equality and support economic growth. 2016. https://www.who.int/hrh/com-heeg/digital-APPG_triple-impact.pdf?ua=1.
- Brenan M. “Nurses again outpace other professions for honesty, ethics” Gallup. 2018. https://news.gallup.com/poll/245597/nurses-again-outpace-professions-honesty-ethics.aspx.
- Campaign for Action. Current activity on removing barriers to practice and care. 2018. https://campaignforaction.org/resource/current-activity-removing-barriers-to-practice-and-care/.
- Corrigan JM. Crossing the quality chasm. Building a better delivery system. 2005.Google Scholar
- Gold J. I knew I wanted to be ‘that nurse’. The future of nursing: campaign for action blog. 2017. https://campaignforaction.org/knew-wanted-nurse/.
- Health Leadership Competency Model 3.0 [Internet]. Health leadership competency model 3.0. Chicago: National Center for Healthcare Leadership; 2018. nhcl.org.
- Institute of Medicine. The future of nursing; leading change, advancing health. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 2011. https://www.nap.edu/catalog/12956/the-future-of-nursing-leading-change-advancing-health.Google Scholar
- Loop FD. Leadership in medicine. Gulf Breeze: Fire Starter Publishing; 2009.Google Scholar
- National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. Communities in action: pathways to health equity. Washington: National Academies Press; 2017.Google Scholar
- SDG USA & Sustainable Development Solutions Network. Sustainable development. Report of the United States 2018. 2018. https://www.sdgusa.org/uploads/SDGreport2018.pdf.
- Smith M, et al., editors. Best care at lower cost: the path to continuously learning health care in America. Washington: Institute of Medicine; 2013.Google Scholar
- Yip J, Ernst C, Campbell M. Boundary spanning leadership: mission critical perspectives from the executive suite. Center for Creative Leadership Organizational Leadership White Paper; 2009. https://www.ccl.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/BoundarySpanningLeadership.pdf.