Developing Advanced Practice Nursing Education, Practice and Policy in Eswatini
- 724 Downloads
Seed Global Health (Seed) supports health system strengthening in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) in response to a growing burden of disease in the face of a critical shortage of health workers. The University of Eswatini partnered with Seed Global Health, a founding partner of the Global Health Service Partnership (GHSP), between 2016 and 2018 to support the development and implementation of a master’s level Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) program. Four US nurse practitioner GHSP Educators worked side-by-side with faculty over the 2-year partnership. The collaboration between GHSP educators and Eswatini nursing faculty and leaders to develop and implement the FNP curriculum and role is described. The cohesion of the nursing leaders across education, government, professional associations, and communities is central to the evolution of the FNP program.
KeywordsEswatini UNISWA Seed Global Health Nursing Leadership Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP)
- Harris C. Morgan Stanley’s Carla Harris: invest in ‘relationship currency’. [Internet]. Chicago, IL: Network of Executive Women; 2018. [cited 2019 May 28]. Available from https://www.newonline.org/news-insights/news/morgan-stanleys-carla-harris-invest-relationship-currency.Google Scholar
- Kingdom of Eswatini Ministry of Health Monitoring and Evaluation Unit. Annual TB program report. [Internet]. 2017. [cited 2019 June 27]. Available from https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5a29b53af9a61e9d04a1cb10/t/5c3fbddc4ae237a70d51b876/1547681247113/Swazi+TB+report+2017_29+May.pdf.
- Mathunjwa MD, Potgieter E. The roles of family nurse practitioners (FNPS) in Swaziland and their needs for continuing education. Afr J Nurs Midwifery. 2004;6(2):13–9.Google Scholar
- Price-Mitchel M. Creating a culture of integrity in the classroom. [Internet]. San Rafael: George Lucas Educational Foundation; 2015. [cited 2019 May 13]. Available from https://www.edutopia.org/blog/8-pathways-creating-culture-integrity-marilyn-price-mitchell.Google Scholar
- The World Bank Data. Physicians (per 1000 people). [Internet]. 2019a. [cited 2019 June 27]. Available from https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.MED.PHYS.ZS.
- The World Bank Data. Nurses and midwives (per 1000 people). [Internet]. 2019b. [cited 2019 June 27]. Available from https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.MED.NUMW.P3.
- UNAIDS. AIDSinfo—Eswatini. [Internet]. 2017. [cited 2019 June 27]. Available from http://aidsinfo.unaids.org/.
- United Nations. Sustainable development goals. [Internet]. 2019. [cited 2019 June 26]. Available from https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/?menu=1300.
- World Health Organization. Health financing for universal health coverage. [Internet]. 2019a. [cited 2019 June 26]. Available from https://www.who.int/health_financing/universal_coverage_definition/en/.
- World Health Organization. Primary health care. [Internet]. 2019b. [cited 2019 June 26]. Available from https://www.who.int/primary-health/en/.
- Worldometers. Swaziland population. [Internet]. 2019. [cited 2019 June 27]. Available from https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/swaziland-population/.