A Quality and Policy Focus to Academic Leadership
- 658 Downloads
This chapter focuses on the Advanced Practice Nurse (APN) educator as a source of leadership development for students in APN programs. Content relevant to leadership understanding and skills development is presented. Examples of learning experiences throughout the program are explored. In addition, content related to interprofessional education (IPE) is offered along with ideas of teaching throughout the curriculum. The challenges of integrating scholarly activity into a clinical curriculum to foster a lifelong commitment to adding new knowledge are considered. Finally, building alliances with clinical partners, other academic institutions, and professional organizations to enhance the educational experience is explored.
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing. Defining scholarship for the discipline of nursing. 1999. https://www.aacnnursing.org/News-Information/Position-Statements-White-Papers/Defining-Scholarship.
- Associates for Process Improvement. Model for improvement. 2019. http://www.apiweb.org/.
- Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council. Nurse practitioner accrditation standards 2015. 2015. https://www.anmac.org.au/sites/default/files/documents/Nurse_Practitioner_Accreditation_Standard_2015_FINAL_0.pdf.
- Bar-On R. Emotional quotient inventory: short (Bar-On EQ-i:S): technical manual. Canada: Multi-Health Systems; 2002.Google Scholar
- Boyer E. Scholarship reconsidered: priorities of the professoriate. Lawrenceville: Jossey-Bass; 1990.Google Scholar
- Canadian Nurses Association. Advanced practice nursing: a pan-Canadian framework. 2019. https://cna-aiic.ca/-/media/cna/page-content/pdf-en/apn-a-pan-canadian-framework.pdf?la=en&hash=E1387634D492FD2B003964E3CD4188971305469E.
- Cheema S, Akram A, Javed F. Employee engagement and visionary leadership: impact on customer and employee satisfaction. J Bus Stud Q. 2015;7(2):139–48.Google Scholar
- CIES. Fulbright. 2019. Cies.org.
- Congressional Budget Office. Physician extenders: their current and future role in medical care delivery. Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office; 1979.Google Scholar
- Drucker PF. The discipline of innovation. Harv Bus Rev. 1985;63:67e72.Google Scholar
- Duckworth A. Angela Duckworth: grit scale. n.d.. https://angeladuckworth.com/grit-scale/.
- Dutoglu G, Tuncel M. The relationsip between candidate teachers’ critical thinking tendencies and their emotional intelligence levels. Abant Izzet Baysal University. J Facult Educ. 2008;8(1):11–32.Google Scholar
- Goleman D. Emotional intelligence. New York: Bantam Books; 1995.Google Scholar
- Holzemer B. International nursing network for HIV? AIDS Res. 2007. https://www.nursesinaidscare.org/files/public/Network_Holzemer_Article.pdf.
- International Council of Nurses. Research: focus of subgroup. 2019. http://icn-apnetwork.org.
- Interprofessional Education Collaborative. Core competencies for interprofessional collaborative practice: 2016 update. Washington, DC: Interprofessional Education Collaborative; 2016.Google Scholar
- Nursing Council of Hong Kong. Scope of nursing practice. 2015. https://www.nchk.org.hk/filemanager/en/pdf/scope_english.pdf.
- O’Flaherty D, Fitzpatrick JJ, Garcia-Dia MJ, Arreglado T, Dinapoli J. Cultivating a culture of resilience: a nursing leadership initiative. Nursing Education Research Conference 2018. Sigma; 2018.Google Scholar
- Office of Technology Assessment. Nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and certified nurse midwives: a policy analysis. Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office; 1986.Google Scholar
- Parker J, Hill M. A review of advanced practice nursing in the United States, Canada, Australia and Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, China. Int J Nurs Sci. 2017;4(2):196–204. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352013216301910.PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Pillay R, Morris MH. Changing healthcare by changing the education of its leaders: an innovation competence model. J Health Adm Educ. 2016;33(3):393–410.Google Scholar
- Thompson J. What are strategic alliances? CHRON. 2019. https://smallbusiness.chron.com/strategic-alliances-23997.html.
- WHO (World Health Organization). Framework for action on interprofessional education and collaborative practice. Geneva: WHO Health Professions Networks Nursing & Midwifery Human Resources for Health; 2010.Google Scholar