Advanced Practice Nursing in the United States
- 10 Downloads
The formation of a national association in the United States to represent all nurse practitioners (NPs) regardless of specialty has been a process of seeking out opportunities and facing challenges. From humble beginnings in the mid-1980s, the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) has grown to nearly 100,000 members representing over 270,000 NPs. AANP provides leadership through grassroots efforts and coalitions at the national, state, and community levels to advance the agenda of NPs, including influencing legislation for payment for NPs from programs such as Medicare and Medicaid, the ability for NPs to prescribe medication-assisted treatments for opioid abuse disorders, and input from practice to the advanced practice nursing Consensus Model. AANP continues to be an agent for reform in the US health system by representing NPs who render high-quality cost-effective care.
KeywordsAmerican Association of Nurse Practitioners Grassroots Coalition building Nurse practitioners Leadership
- American Academy of Nursing. About the Academy. 2015. Retrieved from http://www.aannet.org/about/about-the-academy.
- American Association of Critical-Care Nurses. About AACN. 2019. Retrieved from www.aacn.org.
- American Association of Nurse Anesthetists. About us. 2019. Retrieved from https://www.aana.com/about-us.
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners. About the American Association of Nurse Practitioners. 2019a. Retrieved from https://www.aanp.org/about/about-the-american-association-of-nurse-practitioners-aanp.
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners. 2019b. Historical Timeline from https://www.aanp.org/about/about-the-american-association-of-nurse-practitioners-aanp/historical-timeline.
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners. AANP and the NP roundtable joint statements. 2019c. Retrieved from https://www.aanp.org/advocacy/advocacy-resource/aanp-and-the-np-roundtable-joint-statements.
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners. We choose NPs. n.d.. Retrieved from https://www.wechoosenps.org/.
- American College of Nurse-Midwives. 2017 annual report. 2017. Retrieved from https://www.midwife.org/ACNM-Annual-Reports.
- American Nurses Association. About ANA. n.d.. Retrieved from https://www.nursingworld.org/ana/about-ana/.
- Balanced Budget Act of 1997. Public Law 105-33. n.d.. https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/PLAW-105publ33/pdf/PLAW-105publ33.pdf.
- Drucker PF. Managing the non-profit organization: principles and practices. New York: Harper Collins Publishers, Inc; 1992.Google Scholar
- Kindgon JW. Agendas, alternatives and public polices. 2nd ed. Boston: Little, Brown; 1995.Google Scholar
- National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists. History. 2019a. Retrieved from https://nacns.org/about-us/history/.
- National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists. Mission and Goals. 2019b. Retrieved from https://nacns.org/about-us/mission-and-goals/.
- National Council of State Boards of Nursing. Consensus model for APRN regulation: licensure, accreditation, certification and education; 2008.Google Scholar
- National Council of State Boards of Nursing [Figure]. Diagram 1: APRN Regulatory Model, p. 10. 2008. Retrieved from https://www.ncsbn.org/Consensus_Model_for_APRN_Regulation_July_2008.pdf.
- Pulcini J, Wagner M. Nurse practitioner education in the United States: a success story. Clin Excell NPs. 2002;6:2.Google Scholar
- VanBeuge S Trends on licensure after full practice [webinar]. In: Center to Champion Nursing in America series; 2017.Google Scholar
- Zwilling J, Owens R. North Dakota nurse practitioners 2017: understanding the workforce. 2018. Retrieved from www.cnpd.UND.edu.