Using Gamified Solutions in Pediatric Diabetes Self-management: A Literature Review
Gamification, the use of game elements and techniques, is increasingly being used in healthcare field. This paper reviews the literature on the application of design and technology in improving the quality of healthcare services using gamification, specifically on diabetes self-management. It proposes the use of game elements to help diabetic children better manage their lifelong condition. The paper concludes by presenting a design proposal for further research on the potential use of gamification to promote adherence to a recommended diabetic protocol.
KeywordsChronic illness Gamification Gamification for healthcare Interdisciplinary design Pediatric diabetes Self-management
- 1.AlMarshedi, A., Wills, G.B., Ranchhod, A.: The wheel of Skur: a framework for gamifying diabetes self-management in Saudi Arabia. In: The 5th International Conference on Current and Future Trends of Information and Communication Technologies in Healthcare ICTH 2015, vol. 63, pp. 475–480 (2015)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Petersen, M., Hempler, N.F.: Development and testing of a mobile application to support diabetes self-management for people with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes: a design thinking case study. BMC Med. Inform. Decis. Mak. 17(91), 1–10 (2017)Google Scholar
- 7.Salzsieder, E., Augstein, P., Vogt, L., Kohnert, K.D., Heinke, P., Freyse, E.J., Ahmed, A., Metwali, Z., Salman, I., Attef, O.: Telemedicine-based KADIS® combined with CGMSTM has high potential for improving outpatient diabetes care. J. Diabetes Sci. Technol. 1(4), 511–552 (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Siriaraya, P., Visch, V., Dooren, M.M., Spijkerman, R.: Learnings and challenges in designing gamifications for mental healthcare: the case study of the ReadySetGoals application. In: 2018 10th International Conference on Virtual Worlds and Games for Serious Applications (VS-Games) (2018)Google Scholar
- 11.Wen, C., Hsien, H., Huang, H.: A survey of gamification for healthcare system. In: 2015 International Conference on Orange Technologies (ICOT) (2015)Google Scholar