Regional Integration in the Caribbean
The chapter gives an overview of regional integration efforts from the time of the West Indies Federation to the Caribbean Free Trade Association and the Caribbean Community (CARICOM). This chapter also examines how the Caribbean Community operates as a regional organization. It provides a general introduction to CARICOM, its purpose, mandate, governance structure, institutions, challenges, and future direction. Finally, the chapter exposes CARICOM’s development challenges and reflects on what emerging trends against regional cooperation could mean for CARICOM-Cuba relations.
KeywordsCaribbean Community (CARICOM) Regional integration Caribbean Cuba-CARICOM relations
- Bishop, Matthew Louis, and Anthony Payne. 2010. Caribbean Regional Governance and the Sovereignty/Statehood Problem. CIGI Caribbean Paper No 8, Series: The Caribbean Papers, January 29.Google Scholar
- Byron, Jessica. 2015. Una perspectiva caribeña sobre el regionalismo: ¿cuál es el rol de la CELAC? In El ALBA-TCP: origen y fruto del nuevo regionalismo latinoamericano y caribeño, compiled by Maribel Aponte García and Gloria Amézquita Puntiel and edited by Pablo Gentili, 147–169. Buenos Aires: El Consejo Latinoamericano de Ciencias Sociales (CLACSO).Google Scholar
- Caribbean Community (CARICOM). 1973. Treaty Establishing the Caribbean Community. Accessed June 9, 2017. https://caricom.org/documents/4905-original_treaty-text.pdf.
- ———. 1999. Communique of the Seventh Special Meeting of the Conference of Heads of Government of the Caribbean, October 28, 1999. Accessed May 31, 2019. https://caricom.org/media-center/communications/communiques/communique-of-the-seventh-special-meeting-of-the-conference-of-heads-of-gov.
- ———. 2007. A Community for All: Declaration on Functional Cooperation, Issued by The Heads of Government of the Caribbean Community on the Occasion of the Twenty-Eighth Meeting of the Conference, 1–4 July 2007, Needham’s Point, Barbados. Accessed May 12, 2019. https://caricom.org/media-center/communications/statements-from-caricom-meetings/a-community-for-all-declaration-on-functional-cooperation-issued-by-the-hea.
- ———. 2011. The History of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM). Accessed June 3, 2017. http://archive.caricom.org/jsp/community/history.jsp?menu=community.
- ———. 2017. UN SG Lauds CARICOM Leadership on Global Issues, 21 July 2017. Accessed May 31, 2019. https://caricom.org/communications/view/un-sg-lauds-caricom-leadership-on-global-issues1.
- CARICOM Implementation Agency for Crime and Security (IMPACS). 2013. CARICOM Crime and Security Strategy 2013. Securing the Region. Accessed May 31, 2019. https://www.caricomimpacs.org/Portals/0/Project%20Documents/CCSS_STRAT.pdf.
- CARICOM org. CARICOM Official Website. Accessed May 31, 2019. https://caricom.org.
- CARICOM Secretariat. 2001. Revised Treaty of Chaguaramas Establishing the Caribbean Community Including the CARICOM Single Market and Economy. Accessed June 9, 2017. https://caricom.org/about-caricom/who-we-are/our-governance/the-revised-treaty/.
- Gilbert-Roberts, Terri-Ann. 2013. The Politics of Integration: Sovereignty Revisited. Kingston: Ian Randle Publishers.Google Scholar
- Girvan, Norman. 2012a. Caribbean Community: The Elusive Quest for Economic Integration. In Regional Integration: Key to Caribbean Survival and Prosperity, ed. Kenneth Hall and Myrtle Chuck-A-Sang, 34–67. Printed in the United States of America: Trafford Publishing.Google Scholar
- ———. 2012b. The Caribbean and Cuba: Cuba and the Caribbean: A Reflection. Panel Discussion at the Havana International Book Fair, Havana, Cuba, February 11, 2012.Google Scholar
- Guyana Chronicle. 2009. Lack of Political Will at Root of CARICOM’s Troubles. July 5, 2009. Accessed June 3, 2017. http://guyanachronicle.com/2009/07/05/lack-of-political-will-at-root-of-caricoms-troubles.
- Jamaica Observer. 2013. Who Should Lead CARICOM? December 26, 2013. Accessed June 8, 2017. http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/editorial/Who-should-lead-Caricom-_15697734?profile=&template=PrinterVersion.
- Knight, Andy. 2016. CARICOM Is in Danger of Losing Relevance. The Caribbean Camera, July 17, 2016. Accessed June 8, 2017. http://www.thecaribbeancamera.com/community-events/caricom-is-in-danger-of-losing-relevance/.
- McLean, Sheldon, and Jeetendra Khadan. 2015. An Assessment of the Performance of CARICOM Extraregional Trade Agreements: An Initial Scoping Exercise. Santiago: United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (UN ECLAC). Accessed July 19, 2017. https://repositorio.cepal.org/bitstream/handle/11362/37612/5/lcarl455_rev1.pdf.Google Scholar
- McLean, Sheldon, Machel Pantin, and Nyasha Skerrette. 2014. Regional Integration in the Caribbean: The Role of Trade Agreements and Structural Transformation. Santiago: UN ECLAC.Google Scholar
- Montoute, Annita. 2015. CARICOM’s External Engagements: Prospects and Challenges for Caribbean Regional Integration and Development. Policy Brief. German Marshall Fund of the United States and OCP Policy Center. Accessed June 9, 2017. http://www.gmfus.org/publications/caricoms-external-engagements.
- Pryce, Murphy George. 2013. Security: The Fourth Pillar of the Caribbean Community: Does the Region Need a Security Organ? Technical Report, 1 August 2015, 10 June 2016. Accessed May 31, 2019. https://apps.dtic.mil/docs/citations/AD1020347.
- Sanders, Ronald. 2011. CARICOM: It’s Leadership That’s Needed. February 11, 2011. Accessed December 28, 2017. http://www.sirronaldsanders.com/viewarticle.aspx?ID=219.
- ———. 2016. Clouds Gather over CARICOM: Where’s the Umbrella? Address to the Annual General Meeting of the St Lucia Hotel and Tourist Association, St Lucia, May 19, 2016. Accessed June 9, 2017. http://www.sirronaldsanders.com/Docs/Clouds%20gather%20over%20CARICOM,%20where%20is%20the%20Umbrella.pdf.
- The West Indian Commission. 1993. Time for Action. 2nd ed. Kingston: University of the West Indies Press.Google Scholar
- Trade Wins. 2006. The CARICOM/Cuba Trade and Economic Co-Operation Agreement Explained. Critical Issues for Business 2 (1) (November). Accessed July 18, 2017. http://www.carib-export.com/login/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Final%20TradeWins%20revised.pdf.