An Experimental Setup for the Introduction of High School and Undergraduate Students to Vibration and Mechatronics Topics
The paper presents an experimental setup suited to a starting introduction of high school and undergraduate students to basic topics in vibrations, data acquisition and signal processing. The setup is portable, based on low-cost gear motor, sensors and control electronics, with 3D printed custom parts, and it has been used in different education contexts. Its specification, realization, features and usage are discussed in the paper.
Keywords:Mechanical Vibrations Mechatronic Systems High School Undergraduate Students Engineering Education
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Urízar M., Petuya V., Hernández A., Macho E.: Dynamics and Mechanical Vibrations: Complementing the Theory with Virtual Simulation and Experimental Analysis. In: García-Prada J., Castejón C. (eds) New Trends in Educational Activity in the Field of Mechanism and Machine Theory. Mechanisms and Machine Science, vol 64, Springer (2019).Google Scholar
- 2.Chicharro J.M., Morales A.L., Nieto A.J., Pintado P.: An Example of Inquiry-Based Learning for Undergraduate Mechanical Vibrations. In: García-Prada J., Castejón C. (eds) New Trends in Educational Activity in the Field of Mechanism and Machine Theory. Mechanisms and Machine Science, vol 19, Springer (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.Cornwell, P.: Vibrations labs to help achieve a resonance in learning, ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, Conference Proceedings (2008).Google Scholar
- 4.Mahoney, J. M., & Nathan, R.: Mechanical vibrations modal analysis project with arduinos. ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, Conference Proceedings (2017).Google Scholar
- 5.Craifaleanu A., Dragomirescu C., Craifaleanu I.G.: Teaching Machine Dynamics in a Virtual Laboratory: Simulation of Free and Forced Vibrations of a Homogeneous Bar, Inted2017: 11th Int. Technol., Education And Development Conf., Valencia, Spain (2017)Google Scholar
- 6.Aziz E., Esche S. K., Chassapis C.: On the design of a virtual learning environment for mechanical vibrations, 37th Annual Frontiers In Education Conference (2007).Google Scholar
- 7.Espino Roman P., Rendon Betancourt J., Valdez Verdin J., Davizon Castillo Y., Nunez Nalda J. and Hinojosa Espinosa C.: Design of a Labview Application for the Teaching of Mechanical Vibrations in a Mechatronics Engineering Program, IEEE Latin America Transactions, 13(7), 2347–2355 (2015).CrossRefGoogle Scholar