Linear Pentapods with a Simple Singularity Variety – Part II: Computation of Singularity-Free Balls
The configuration space of a linear pentapod can be defined as the set of all points (u, v, w, px , py , pz) ∈ ℝ6 located on the singular quadric Γ : u 2 + v2 + w2 = 1, where (u, v, w) determines determines the orientation of the linear platform and (px , py , pz) its position. In such terminology, the set of all singular robot configurations is obtained by intersecting Γ with a cubic hypersurface Σ in ℝ6, which is only quadratic in the orientation variables and position variables, respectively. We study the computational aspects of the determination of singularity-free balls under the design restrictions that Σ is either (1) linear in position variables or (2) linear in orientation variables. It turns out that for these pentapod designs the computation of singularity-free balls in the configuration space simplifies considerably. One can even obtain a closed form solution, which is paving the way for a real-time singularity-free path planning/optimization in the configuration space.
KeywordsLinear pentapods Distance computation Singularity-free balls
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The research is supported by Grant No. P 24927-N25 of the Austrian Science Fund FWF. Moreover the first author is funded by the Doctoral College “Computational Design” of Vienna University of Technology.
- 1.J. Borràs, F. Thomas, Singularity-invariant leg substitutions in pentapods, in: Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 2010 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on, IEEE, 2010, pp. 2766–2771Google Scholar
- 4.G. Nawratil, J. Schicho, Self-motions of pentapods with linear platform, Robotica (2015) 1–29Google Scholar
- 5.G. Nawratil, On the line-symmetry of self-motions of linear pentapods, in: Advances in Robot Kinematics 2016, Springer, 2018, pp. 149–159Google Scholar
- 6.A. Rasoulzadeh, G. Nawratil, Rational parametrization of linear pentapod’s singularity variety and the distance to it, in: Computational Kinematics, Springer, 2018, pp. 516–524 (extended version on arXiv:1701.09107)
- 7.A. Rasoulzadeh, G. Nawratil, Linear pentapods with a simple singularity variety – part I: Determination and Redundant Designs, submitted to IFToMM World Congress 2019Google Scholar
- 8.A. Rasoulzadeh, G. Nawratil, Variational path optimization of pentapods with simple singularity variety, in preparationGoogle Scholar
- 10.J. Borras, F. Thomas, E. Ottaviano, M. Ceccarelli, A reconfigurable 5-dof 5-spu parallel platform, in: Proc. of ASME/IFToMM International Conference on Reconfigurable Mechanisms and Robots (ReMAR), IEEE, 2009, pp. 617–623Google Scholar