Assessment of Dynamic Young’s Modulus and Damping Ratio of Bamboo Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composites using Shock Wave
In recent years, polymer composites using natural fibers have attracted attention. To evaluate the aging process of the polymer composites caused by ultraviolet rays, one has to apply non-destructive tests. In this paper, we established an assessment system using laser-induced plasma shock wave as an impulse excitation to evaluate a Young’s modulus and a damping ratio of polymer composites composed of bamboo fiber and phenolic resin. A shock wave is generated when laser-induced plasma expands at a high velocity throughout the ambient. Measuring responses of the composites by a laser Doppler vibrometer, we obtain absolute value of Fourier spectra and their natural frequencies. We used those to determine dynamic Young’s moduli and damping ratios of the composites. We made the composites which were fabricated by a hot press using a mold. There were the same trend between the dynamic Young’s moduli obtained by our system and the ones measured by a three-point flexural bending test. We could additionally obtain the damping ratios of the composites.
KeywordsLaser-induced plasma Shock Wave Dynamic Young’s Modulus Damping ratio Bamboo Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composite
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
We thank the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science for support under Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research programs (Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (B), Project No. JP16H04291, and Grant-in-Aid for Challenging Exploratory Research, Project No. 17K18858).
- 5.Hunt, J., Zhang, H., Guo, Z., Fu, F.: Cantilever Beam Static and Dynamic Response Comparison with Mid-Point Bending for Thin MDF Composite Panels. Bioresources 8(1) (2012).Google Scholar
- 10.Nihon Techo-Plus Co. Ltd. (NTP) Homepage, http://www.nihon-tp.com/eg/jeindex.htm, last accessed 2019/03/07.
- 11.Al-Maadeed, M., Labidi, S.: Recycled polymers in natural fibre-reinforced polymer composites. Natural Fibre Composites 103-114 (2014).Google Scholar
- 12.Lobovikov, M.: World bamboo resources. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome (2007).Google Scholar
- 13.Janssen, J.: Designing and building with bamboo. International Network for Bamboo and Rattan, Beijing (2000).Google Scholar
- 20.ASTM C1548-02.: Standard Test Method for Dynamic Young’s Modulus, Shear Modulus, and Poisson’s Ratio of Refractory Materials by Impulse Excitation of Vibration. ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, (2012).Google Scholar