Zero Air Gap Condition in Aerostatic Flat Bearings
In the last fifty years, the performance of aerostatic pads has been largely investigated as regards load capacity, consumption, stiffness and damping. However, there are few works studying the effect of other aspects which are not usually taken into account, e.g., deformations, waviness and roughness. This paper investigates the causes of air leakages at zero air gap condition. Different numerical simulations are performed to evaluate which is the deformed shape of the pad under different loading conditions. Experimental air flow measurements at zero air gap condition were also performed. It has been found that, in this instance, pad deflection is one of the main causes producing air leakages.
Keywordsair bearing gas bearing aerostatic pads lubrication
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Boffey, D.A., Wilson, P.M.: An experimental investigation of the pressures at the Edge of a gas bearing pocket. Journal of Lubrication Technology. 103, 593–600 (1981)Google Scholar
- 5.Colombo, F., Lentini, L., Raparelli, T., Trivella, A., Viktorov, V.: Dynamic Characterisation of Rectangular Aerostatic Pads with Multiple Inherent Orifices. Tribology Letters. 66, (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11249-018-1087-x
- 9.Colombo, F., Lentini, L., Raparelli, T., Trivella, A., Viktorov, V.: A Lumped Model for Grooved Aerostatic Pad. In: Advances in Service and Industrial Robotics. pp. 678–686. Springer International Publishing (2018)Google Scholar
- 10.Colombo, F., Lentini, L., Raparelli, T., Trivella, A., Viktorov, V.: Dynamic model of a grooved thrust bearing: Numerical model and experimental validation. Presented at the AIMETA 2017 - Proceedings of the 23rd Conference of the Italian Association of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (2017)Google Scholar
- 11.Colombo, F., Lentini, L., Raparelli, T., Viktorov, V.: Experimental Identification of an Aerostatic Thrust Bearing. In: Advances in Italian Mechanism Science. pp. 441–448. Springer (2017)Google Scholar
- 13.Colombo, F., Lentini, L., Raparelli, T., Trivella, A., Vladimir, V.: A nonlinear lumped parameter model of an externally pressurized rectangular grooved air pad bearing. In: Advances in Italian Mechanism Science. pp. 490–497. Springer (2018)Google Scholar
- 17.Lu, L., Chen, W., Yu, N., Wang, Z., Chen, G.: Aerostatic thrust bearing performances analysis considering the fluid-structure coupling effect. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part J: Journal of Engineering Tribology. 230, 1588–1596 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1177/1350650116642098CrossRefGoogle Scholar