Analytical Model for the Estimation of Axial Stiffness and Contact Results in Wire Race Ball Bearings
Wire-race bearings are a non-conventional type of bearings where the rolling process takes place over a race shaped in a wire. This design allows building the rings with lighter materials and innovative ring designs. Despite the wide range of applications where wire-race bearings can be the best option, no specific analysis tools have been developed yet. There are several analytical tools for conventional bearings, which obtain the stiffness, the effect of the preload and the static load capacity among others. In this work a simplified analytical model is proposed for a wire-race ball bearing, and comparatively validated via Finite Element Analysis.
KeywordsWire Race Bearing Bearing stiffness Analytical Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Franke GmbH, Brochure: Light Bearings for Innovation, (2014).Google Scholar
- 3.Gunia, D., Smolnicki, T.: The influence of the geometrical parameters for stress distribution in wire raceway slewing bearing. Arch. Mech. Eng. 64(3), 315–326 (2017), https://doi.org/10.1515/meceng- 2017-0019.
- 4.Martín, I., Heras, I., Aguirrebeitia, J., Abasolo, M., Coria, I.: Static structural behaviour of wire bearings under axial load: Comparison with conventional bearings and study of design and operational parameters. Mech. Mach Theory 132, 98-107 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mechmachtheory.2018.10.016CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Zupan, S., Prebil, I.: Carrying angle and carrying capacity of a large single row ball bearing as a function of geometry parameters of the rolling contact and the supporting structure stiffness. Mech. Mach Theory 36, 1087–103 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/s0094-114x(01)00044-1.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Aguirrebeitia, J., Abasolo, M., Avilés, R., Fernández de Bustos, I.: Theoretical calculation of general static load-carrying capacity for the design and selection of three row roller slewing bearings. Mech. Mach. Theory 48, 52–61 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mechmachtheory.2011.09.003.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Aguirrebeitia, J., Plaza, J., Abasolo, M., Vallejo, J.: Effect of the preload in the general static load carrying capacity of four-contact-point slewing bearings for wind turbine generators: theoretical model and finite element calculations. Wind Energy 17(10), 1605–21 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1002/we.1656.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Puttock, M. J., Thwaite, E. G.: Elastic compression of spheres and cylinders at point and line contact. In: National Standards Laboratory Technical Paper No. 25. Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization, Melbourne, (1969).Google Scholar