Static and dynamic behaviors of a cylindrical hydrodynamic journal bearing operating at very low Sommerfeld numbers
Plain journal bearings are commonly equipping various rotating machineries from small electrical motors to large generators, turbines and pumps. They are preferable to rolling element bearings because of their long life performance, low cost, quiet operation, high damping properties, split design, and smaller outside dimension. In this paper the static and dynamic characteristics of a cylindrical journal bearing working in critical conditions, namely at very low speed and high specific pressure, are described. A bearing with the nominal diameter of 160mm and the length of 145mm was used. The rotational speed was fixed at very low speed of 60rpm while the applied static load in the vertical direction ranges in the Sommerfeld number from 0.0086 to 0.1314. Measurements of static position of the shaft, hydrodynamic pressure, temperature profiles, and dynamic coefficients have been presented and discussed.
KeywordsCylindrical journal bearing Low Sommerfeld number Experiments Static and dynamic characteristics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Brito, F.P., Bouyer, J., Fillon, M., and Miranda, A.S., 2006. Thermal Behavior and Performance Characteristics of a Twin Axial Groove Journal Bearing as a Function of Applied Load and Rotational Speed. 5th International Conference on Mechanics and Materials in Design.Google Scholar
- 8.Chatterton, S., Pennacchi, P., Dang, P.V., and Vania, A., 2014. Identification Dynamic Force Coefficients of a Five-Pad Tilting-Pad Journal Bearing. Proceedings of 9th International Conference on Rotor Dynamics (IFToMM); Milan, Italy; Vol. 21, pp. 931-941, https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-06590-8_76.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Dang, P.V., Chatterton, S., Pennacchi, P., Vania, A., and Cangioli, F., 2015. Investigation of Load Direction on a Five-Pad Tilting Pad Journal Bearing with Variable Clearance. Proceedings of the 14th IFToMM World Congress, Taipei, Taiwan, October 25-30, https://doi.org/10.6567/iftomm.14th.wc.os14.021.
- 10.Dang, P.V., Chatterton, S., Pennacchi, P., Vania, A., and Cangioli, F., Behavior of a Tilting–Pad Journal Bearing With Different Load Directions, ASME Paper No. DETC2015-46598, 2015; Vol. 8. https://doi.org/10.1115/detc2015-46598.
- 11.Dang, P.V., Chatterton, S., Pennacchi, P., Vania, A., and Cangioli, F., An Experimental Study of Nonlinear Oil-Film Forces in a Tilting-Pad Journal Bearing, ASME Paper No. DETC2015-46601, 2015; Vol. 8. https://doi.org/10.1115/detc2015-46601.