Correction of Long Vehicle Off Tracking by Multiple Axle Steering
When planning the road vehicles for the transport of passengers or goods, engineers should take care to contrast some undesirable phenomena in the lateral dynamics, such as high-speed instability or off tracking. While the former is less troubling in the slow heavy vehicles, the latter is a serious problem due to the risk of invading the neighbouring lanes. The use of multi-wheel steering may completely cancel this drawback and, pursuing an optimized correlation among the steering angles, a functional inter-dependence based on the cubic “witch of Agnesi” is found to be very promising. Simple control systems with electromechanical or electronic components may be easily implemented for the mutual interlocking of the steering angles.
KeywordsDrift Control Off Tracking Multiple Axle Steering
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Agnesi, M.G., 1748. Istituzioni Analitiche ad Uso della Gioventù Italiana (Analytic Institutes for Use of Italian Young People). Milan, Royal-Ducal Court.Google Scholar
- Du, H., Wei, J.H., Fang, J.H., 2016. The Design, Simulation, and Experiment of High-Accuracy Multi-Axle Electro-Hydraulic Control Servo Steering Systems. Advances in Mechanical Engineering, vol 8-10, pp 1-15.Google Scholar
- Gillespie, T.D., 1992. Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics. SAE International.Google Scholar
- Pacejka, H.B., 2006. Tyre and Vehicle Dynamics. Oxford, Butterworths-Heinemann.Google Scholar
- Rajamani, R., 2006. Vehicle Dynamic and Control. Springer-Mechanical Engineering Series.Google Scholar
- Rocard, Y., 1954. L’instabilité en Mécanique. Masson et C., Paris.Google Scholar
- Shu, P., Sagara, S., Wang, Q., Oya, M., 2017. Improved adaptive lane-keeping control for four-wheel steering vehicles without lateral velocity measurements. Int. J. Robust Nonlinear Control, vol 27, pp. 4154–4168.Google Scholar
- Sorge, F., 2015. On the sway stability improvement of car-caravan systems by articulated connections. Vehicle System Dynamics, Intern. Jour. of Vehicle Mechanics and Mobility, vol 53-9, pp 1349-1372.Google Scholar
- Sorge, F., 2016. Optimization of vehicle-trailer connection systems. Journal of Physics, vol 744, pp 012200.Google Scholar
- Wagner, S., Nitzsche, G., 2016. Advanced Steer-by-Wire System for World Longest Buses. IEEE 19th Intern. Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Nov. 1-4, 2016, pp 1932-1938.Google Scholar