Design of the positioning mechanism of an unmanned ground vehicle for precision agriculture
This paper deals with the design of a UGV (unmanned ground vehicle) for precise agriculture applications, named Agri.q02. The UGV can be considered the evolution of a previously presented vehicle, the Agri.q, with a novel layout and extended capabilities. Able to operate in unstructured environments and equipped with solar panels, the UGV permits a UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle) landing and recharging, even when positioned on irregular terrain or steep slopes. These features are provided by a positioning mechanism able to keep the landing platform horizontal above the soil; this mechanism was completely redesigned and its dimensional synthesis is presented herein. Finally, in order to collect ground or leaves’ samples for crop monitoring purposes, the novel version of the rover is also equipped by a robotic collaborative arm with a gripper at its end.
KeywordsAgri.q Drone landing Robotic collaborative arm Mobile robot
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
We thank the PIC4SeR - PoliTO Interdepartmental Centre for Service Robotics.
- 1.Vidoni, R., Gallo, R., Ristorto, G., Carabin, G., Mazzetto, F., Scalera, L., Gasparetto, A., ByeLab: An Agricultural Mobile Robot Prototype for Proximal Sensing and Precision Farming. In: ASME 2017 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, vol. 4A: Dynamics, Vibration, and Control, November 3–9, Tampa, Florida, USA (2017).Google Scholar
- 2.Aljanobi, A.A., Al-Hamed, S.A., Al-Suhaibani, S.A.: A setup of mobile robotic unit for fruit harvesting. In: 19th International Workshop on Robotics in Alpe-Adria-Danube Region (RAAD 2010), 24-26 June 2010, Budapest, Hungary, IEEE (2010).Google Scholar
- 3.Lin, H., Dong, S., Liu, Z., & Yi, C.: Study and experiment on a wheat precision seeding robot. Journal of Robotics, Article ID: 696301 (2015).Google Scholar
- 5.Gonzalez-de-Santos, P., Ribeiro, A., Fernandez-Quintanilla, C., Lopez-Granados, F., Brandstoetter, M., Tomic, S., Pedrazzi, S., Peruzzi, A., Pajares, G., Kaplanis, G., Perez-Ruiz, M., Valero, C., del Cerro, J., Vieri, M., Rabatel, G., Debilde, B.: Fleets of robots for environmentally-safe pest control in agriculture. Precision Agriculture 18(4), pp. 574–614 (2017).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Quaglia, G., Nisi, M.: Design and construction of a new version of the Epi.q UGV for monitoring and surveillance tasks. In: ASME 2015 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, vol. 4A: Dynamics, Vibration, and Control, November 13-19, Houston, Texas, USA (2015).Google Scholar
- 7.Quaglia, G., Franco, W., Nisi, M.: Design of a reconfiguration mechanism for an electric stair-climbing wheelchair. In: Proceedings of the ASME 2014 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, vol. 4A: Dynamics, Vibration, and Control, November 14-20, 2014, Montreal, Quebec, Canada (2014).Google Scholar
- 8.Quaglia, G., Cavallone, P., Visconte, C.: Agri_q: agriculture UGV for monitoring and drone landing. In: Proceedings of the 4th IFToMM Symposium on Mechanism Design for Robotics 66, pp. 413-423, Udine, Italy (2018).Google Scholar