Effective Teaching of Mechanism Synthesis using MechAnalyzer Software
Mechanisms are found in every machine or system with relative motion between its components. Dimensional synthesis of a mechanism is the process of identifying the length of the linkages to obtain desired motion of the mechanism. A visualization software to determine the length of the linkages and show the motion of the resulting mechanism is desirable for effective teaching. In this paper, a new module in MechAnalyzer software is reported which aims to achieve the same. In its current form, it can perform synthesis of a four-bar mechanism for 2-positions and 3-positions and the resulting mechanism can be viewed and animated.
Keywordsmechanism synthesis four-bar mechanism simulation education
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Uicker, J. J., Pennock, G. R. and Shigley, J. E.: Theory of Machines and Mechanisms. 3rd edn (SI Edition), Oxford University Press, New Delhi (2012).Google Scholar
- 3.Purwar, A., Toravi, A., and Ge, Q. J: 4MDS: A Geometric Constraint Based Motion Design Software for Synthesis and Simulation of Planar Four-bar Linkages. In: ASME 2014 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference. New York, USA (2014).Google Scholar
- 5.Hampali, S., Chittawadigi, R. G., and Saha, S. K: MechAnalyzer: 3D Model Based Mechanism Learning Software. In: 14th World Congress in Mechanism and Machine Science. Taipei, Taiwan (2015).Google Scholar
- 6.Rakshith L., Chittawadigi, R. G. and Saha, S. K: MechAnalyzer: 3D Simulation Software to Teach Kinematics of Machines. In: 2nd International and 17th National Conference on Machines and Mechanisms. Kanpur, India (2015).Google Scholar
- 8.Verma, S. K., Swaminathan, J., Chittawadigi, R. G. and Saha, S. K.: Static Force Analysis of Planar Mechanisms in MechAnalyzer Software. In: Proc. XII IPRoMM National Workshop on Industrial Problems on Machines & Mechanisms, Nagpur, India, 2016.Google Scholar
- 9.Dikshithaa R, Jain, S., Swaminathan, J. Chittawadigi, R. G. and Saha, S. K.: MechAnlayzer: Software to Teach Kinematics Concepts Related to Cams, Gears and Instantaneous Center. In: 5th Asian Conference on Mechanisms and Machine Science, Bengaluru, India, 2018.Google Scholar