Direct sensitivity analysis of planar multibody systems in the Hamiltonian framework
Optimal design of multibody systems is of primary importance to researchers working in various fields. The goal of the paper is to present a novel Hamiltonian based approach for finding design sensitivities of multibody systems (MBS) through the use of direct differentiation method. The total derivatives of Hamiltonian equations of motion (EOM) based on the augmented Lagrangian in terms of the design are determined in the text. An algorithm for the evaluation of a gradient of an objective function is also delivered. Sample test case is presented that demonstrates the validity of the proposed approach.
Keywordssensitivity analysis direct differentitation method optimization multibody systems
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work has been supported by National Science Center under grant No. 2018/29/B/ST8/00374. The first author would also like to acknowledge the support of the Institute of Aeronautics and Applied Mechanics funds for scientific research.
- K. Chadaj, P. Malczyk, and J. Frączek. “Efficient parallel formulation for dynamics simulation of large articulated robotic systems”. In: 2015 20th International Conference on Methods and Models in Automation and Robotics (MMAR). 2015, pp. 441–446. doi: 10.1109/mmar.2015.7283916.
- D. Dopico, Y. Zhu, A. Sandu, and C. Sandu. “Direct and Adjoint Sensitivity Analysis of Ordinary Differential Equation Multibody Formulations”. In: Journal of Computational and Nonlinear Dynamics 10.1 (2014). doi: 10.1115/1.4026492.
- E. J. Haug and V. N. Sohoni. “Design sensitivity analysis and optimization of kinematically driven systems”. In: Computer aided analysis and optimization of mechanical system dynamics. Springer, 1984, pp. 499–554.Google Scholar
- H. Lankarani and P. Nikravesh. “Application of the canonical equations of motion in problems of constrained multibody systems with intermittent motion”. English (US). In: American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Design Engineering Division (Publication) DE. Vol. 14. Publ by American Soc of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), 1988, pp. 417–423.Google Scholar
- P. Maciąg, P. Malczyk, and J. Frączek. “Optimal Design of Multibody Systems Using the Adjoint Method”. In: Dynamical Systems Theory and Applications. Springer. 2017, pp. 241–253. doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-96601-4˙22.Google Scholar
- P. Malczyk, P. Maciąg, and J. Frączek. “Hamiltonian based optimal design of planar multibody systems”. In: 26th International Conference on Theory of Machines and Mechatronic Systems. 2018.Google Scholar