A Framework for Robotic Bin Packing with a Dual-Arm Configuration
In recent years, dual-arm robots have been widely studied for their high redundancy in many dexterous manipulation tasks, such as assembly, handling, and re-grasping. As a result, dual-arm robots are expected to be a potential solution for many logistics and manufacturing scenario. In this work, we propose a framework for a logistics application with a dual-arm robot, the Robotic Bin Packing (RBP). Through a two-stage visual perception and joint planning approaches, boxes with various dimensions can be successfully picked, re-grasped, and then placed at an expected pose. In addition, a heuristic approach is exercised offline for finding efficient re-grasping poses of the robot. The experimental results show that the execution time of manipulation can be improved through the proposed approach. We believe that this framework can provide practitioners with a feasible solution for bin packing issues in logistics.
Keywordsbin-packing dual-arm robot
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Weng, C.Y., Chen, I.M.: The task-level evaluation model for a flexible assembly task with an industrial dual-arm robot. In: Cybernetics and Intelligent Systems (CIS) and IEEE Conference on Robotics, Automation and Mechatronics (RAM), 2017 IEEE International Conference on, pp. 356–360. IEEE (2017)Google Scholar
- 3.Echelmeyer, W., Kirchheim, A., Wellbrock, E.: Robotics-logistics: Challenges for automation of logistic processes. In: 2008 IEEE International Conference on Automation and Logistics, pp. 2099–2103 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1109/ICAL.2008.4636510
- 4.Fernie, J., Sparks, L.: Logistics and retail management: emerging issues and new challenges in the retail supply chain. Kogan page publishers (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Coffman, E.G., Garey, M.R., Johnson, D.S.: Approximation algorithms for bin-packing an updated survey. In: Algorithm design for computer system design, pp. 49–106. Springer (1984)Google Scholar
- 8.Baker, B.S., Coffman Jr, E.G.: A tight asymptotic bound for next-fit-decreasing bin-packing. SIAM Journal on Algebraic Discrete Methods 2(2), 147–152 (1981)Google Scholar
- 9.Weng, C.Y., Tan, W.C., Chen, I.M.: A survey of dual-arm robotic issues on assembly tasks. In: ROMANSY 22–Robot Design, Dynamics and Control, pp. 474–480. Springer (2019)Google Scholar
- 10.Harada, K., Foissotte, T., Tsuji, T., Nagata, K., Yamanobe, N., Nakamura, A., Kawai, Y.: Pick and place planning for dual-arm manipulators. In: Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2012 IEEE International Conference on, pp. 2281–2286. IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Vahrenkamp, N., Berenson, D., Asfour, T., Kuffner, J., Dillmann, R.: Humanoid motion planning for dual-arm manipulation and re-grasping tasks. In: Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2009. IROS 2009. IEEE/RSJ International Conference on, pp. 2464–2470. IEEE (2009)Google Scholar