Robotized grinding experiments of construction materials for asbestos removal operation
Asbestos is a carcinogen prohibited material that has to be removed from houses and buildings. The European project Bots2ReC aims at constructing cooperative mobile manipulators capable to replace human operators in contaminated areas, in order to remove construction materials that contain asbestos by robotized grinding. The main objective of this work is to measure the grinding forces generated by a rotating tool used in construction materials, as these data are lacking in the literature. Two materials and different grinding parameters are tested, and recommendations are also deduced for robotizing grinding.
KeywordsConstruction robotics Construction materials Asbestos removal Robotized grinding Experimental tests
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation program under Grant agreement no.687593. The authors extend their gratitude to the CTT SIGMA team for their technical support. We also particularly thank V. Gagnol and A. Maamar for the measurement hardware lending and their precious recommendations.
- 1.Bots2ReC project Homepage, https://www.bots2rec.eu, last accessed 2018/12/15.
- 3.Eco-Amiante Homepage, http://www.eco-amiante.fr, last accessed 2018/12/13
- 4.Asprotek Homepage, http://www.asprotek.com/l-asprotek, last accessed 2018/10/13.
- 5.Brokk Homepage, http://www.brokk.fr/UserFiles/File/FICHES%20TECHNIQUES/fichetechnique-pmp-250.pdf, last accessed 2018/10/13.
- 6.Arai M., Hoshino H.: Robot System for Removing Asbestos Sprayed on Beams. In: the 28th International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction, pp. 1409–1414. Seoul, Korea (2011).Google Scholar
- 8.Marinescu I., Hitchiner M., Uhlmann E, et al.: Handbook of Machining with Grinding Wheels. 2nd edn. CRC Press (2016).Google Scholar
- 9.Brian Rowe W.: Principles of Modern Grinding Technology. 2nd edn. William Andrew (2014).Google Scholar
- 10.Vu V.-H., Liu Z., Thomas M., et al.: Identification of frequency response functions of a flexible robot as tool-holder for robotic grinding process. In: the 42nd Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IECON), 6347–6352. Florence, Italy (2016).Google Scholar