High-speed gripper with position-alignment functionality based on quick-return mechanism
This paper details a novel gripper that enables high-speed grasping with part-alignment functionality to efficiently perform assembly operations. High-speed operation (600 mm/s) is achieved by utilizing the high-speed portion of the quick return mechanism (in a motor with a low speed of 77 rpm). The size of the gripper is compact at 76 mm wide and 72 mm tall. This compactness fa-cilitates obstacle avoidance when operating a manipulator with the proposed gripper. The weight of the gripper is minimal at 0.2 kg, making it compatible with a manipulator with a small payload. We experimentally verify the effective position alignment range and devise a grasp strategy to extend it. Experimental validation is conducted with the operations of an assembly competition, and the efficacies of the gripper and grasp strategy are demonstrated.
KeywordsRobotic hand Assembly task Quick return mechanism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Tetsuyou Watanabe, Kimitoshi Yamazaki, and Yasuyoshi Yokokohji, Survey of robotic manipulation studies intending practical applications in real environments -object recognition, soft robot hand, challenge program and benchmarking-, Advanced Robotics, Vol.31, No.19-20, pp.1114-1132, 2017.Google Scholar
- 2.M. T. Zhang and K. Goldberg, “Gripper point contacts for part alignment,” IEEE Trans. Robot. Autom., vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 902–910, Dec. 2002.Google Scholar
- 4.Y. Hirata, A. Kaisumi, K. Yamaguchi, and K. Kosuge, “Design of handling device for caging and aligning circular objects,” in 2011 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, 2011, pp. 4370–4377.Google Scholar
- 5.K. Yamaguchi, Y. Hirata, A. Kaisumi, and K. Kosuge, “Design of parts handling and gear assembling device,” Proc. - IEEE Int. Conf. Robot. Autom., vol. 1, no. c, pp. 2570–2577, 2012.Google Scholar
- 9.Akio Namiki, Yoshiro Imai, Masatoshi Ishikawa, and Makoto Kaneko “Development of a High-speed Multifingered Hand System and Its Application to Catching” IEEE/RSJ Inter-national Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 2003, pp.2666-2671Google Scholar
- 10.SCHUNK “MPG 64” [Online] Available: http://flippingbooks.schunk.com/flip-pingbook/Schunk_Greifmodule_EN/files/assets/basic-html/page-182.html
- 11.Mitsubishi electric, “Multifunctional Electric Hand,” [Online]. Available: http://www.mitsubishielectric.com/fa/products/rbt/robot/pmerit/option/hand/index.html#pageUnit01.
- 12.ROBOTIS e-Manual Dynamixel X Series XM430-W210 [Online]. Available: http://eman-ual.robotis.com/docs/en/dxl/x/xm430-w210/
- 13.World Robot challenge (WRC) Industrial Robotics Category Assembly Challenge Rules and Regulations 2018 [Online]. Available:http://worldrobotsummit.org/download/rulebook-en/rulebook-Assembly_Challenge.pdf