A 2 Dof Continuum Parallel Robot for Pick & Place Collaborative Tasks
One of the main advantages of parallel manipulators over serial manipulators is their capacity to achieve faster and more precise movements, which is why they are used in many industrial applications. A parallel manipulator is formed by two or more parallel sets of rigid elements connected in series, and the corresponding actuators. Nevertheless, a protection system is needed to prevent anyone from accessing the workspace and thus avoid accidents. In contrast, the alternative of using parallel manipulators formed by flexible elements has a potential advantage in the so called collaborative robotic applications, as the mechanism flexibility reduces the harm. In this paper, a planar continuum parallel mechanism prototype is presented. The position problem of the flexible rods is solved through nonlinear methods of deformation, using the Kirchhoff model. A mechatronic model has been developed integrating the dynamics of the robot, drives and control. Finally, the prototype has been assembled and experimentally tested, and the results of the tests carried out have been compared with the models developed in terms of displacement, velocity and torque.
KeywordsContinuum robots Parallel robots Mechatronics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Authors want to acknowledge the support given by the Spanish Government (Ministerio de Economía y Competitividad y Fondo Europeo de Desarrollo Regional, FEDER, DPI2015-64450-R), and the Basque Government for the project IT949-16.
- 1.Bryson C. E. and Rucker D. C.: Toward parallel continuum manipulators. In: 2014 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) (2014).Google Scholar
- 2.Orekhov A. L., Aloi V. A. and Rucker D. C.: Modeling parallel continuum robots with general intermediate constraints. In: IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Au-tomation (ICRA) (2017).Google Scholar
- 4.Till J. et al.: Efficient computation of multiple coupled Cosserat rod models for real-time simulation and control of parallel continuum manipulators. In: IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) (2015).Google Scholar
- 5.Antman S. S., Nonlinear problems of elasticity. Springer, New York (2005).Google Scholar
- 7.IRB 360 FlexPicker® IRB 360 - Industrial Robots (Robotics) - Industrial Robots From ABB Robotics. In: http://new.abb.com/products/robotics/industrial-robots/irb-360, Last access 18-Apr-2018