Comparative Study of Deployable and Ball Tensegrity Structures
In this paper, we have demonstrated comparative study for connection of self-similar unit of tensegrity structure, connectivity matrices and symmetry of components between deployable and ball tensegrity structures. Similarity comparison of the relationships which connects these structures is carried out. In order to carry out the relationship between those structures, a height lhc(r) of a tensegrity unit structure is generated based on a cylindrical model with a fixed length of horizontal cables ls(r) and length of struts lb(r). Finally, we give relations which allow the transition from the deployable tensegrity to the tensegrity ball. In this view, by varying the height lhb(r) and radius R(r) of the upper and lower nodes of two successive tensegrity unit of deployable tensegrity structure results into the tensegrity ball structure. Models are made by replacing struts with bamboo and cables with cotton threads.
KeywordsSelf-Similar Unit Connectivity Matrices Symmetry Tensegrity Structures
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.De Oliveira, M.C., Skelton, R.E.: Tensegrity systems. (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Vumiliya, A., Luo, A., Song, Z.: Mathematic Modeling for Configuration of Tensegrity Structure. In: 2018 IEEE International Conference on Mechatronics and Automation (ICMA). pp. 104–109. IEEE (2018)Google Scholar
- 4.Zolesi, V.S., Ganga, P.L., Scolamiero, L., Micheletti, A., Podio-Guidugli, P., Tibert, G., Donati, A., Ghiozzi, M.: On an innovative deployment concept for large space structures. 42nd Int. Conf. Environ. Syst. 1–14 (2012). doi: https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2012-3601
- 6.Luo, A., Liu, H., Liu, Y.: Analyzing the driving method for the ball tensegrity robot. In: 2016 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics (ROBIO). pp. 2069–2074. IEEE (2016)Google Scholar
- 7.Iscen, A., Agogino, A., SunSpiral, V., Tumer, K.: Controlling Tensegrity Robots through Evolution. Gecco’13 Proc. 2013 Genet. Evol. Comput. Conf. 1293–1300 (2013). doi: https://doi.org/10.1145/2463372.2463525
- 10.Zhang, J.Y., Ohsaki, M.: Tensegrity Structures.Google Scholar