Reconstruction of an Ancient Blossoming Flower Automaton with a Circular-arc Cam
The herein investigated blossoming flower automaton is one of the ingenious mechanical devices made in the 18th century to entertain people. Although this automaton is still preserved in the Palace Museum in Beijing, its inner works are generally not open by the public, and the mechanical structure is unknown. A reconstruction design procedure for ancient automata with unclear mechanical structure is provided, including mechanism design and performance analysis. One of the reconstructed mechanisms of the blossoming flower automaton is selected, and an easy-making cam with circular-arc profile is used. The motion characteristics are checked not only by computer-aid modeling and simulation but also through the prototype manufacturing and testing with 3D printing components and image/video analysis software, and the numerical results are presented for a performance evaluation and characterization.
KeywordsAncient automaton mechanism reconstruction design prototype testing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors are grateful to the Ministry of Science and Technology (Taipei, Taiwan) under Grant MOST 106-2221-E-006 -100 -MY3 for the support of this work. The first author wishes to gratefully acknowledge the Ministry of Science and Technology (Taipei, Taiwan) through grant 105-2917-I-006-008 for permitting her period of study at LARM of Cassino University in the A.Y. 2016-17 within a double PhD degree program.
- 1.C. Rossi and F. Russo, Automata (Towards Automation and Robots), Ancient Engineers’ Inventions, Springer, Dordrecht, pp.353-380 (2017).Google Scholar
- 2.L.M. Yun and C. Wang, Yang Antiques: Clocks and Watches, Beijing Publishing Group Ltd, Beijing (2003). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 5.J.C. Jauregui-Correa and G. Rodriguez-Zahar, Dynamic Reconstruction of Colonial Mexican Mechanism, Explorations in the History of Machines and Mechanisms, Springer, Dordrecht, pp.87-100 (2016).Google Scholar
- 7.X.L. Guan, Timepieces, Taipei, Taiwan: Artist Publishing Corporation, pp. 31-32, (2007). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 8.Y.H. Chen and H.S. Yan, Reconstruction of Unknown Automata Design of Blossoming Flower Clock in Forbidden City, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, Vol. 231, Issue 7, pp.1354-1368 (2017).Google Scholar
- 9.Y.H. Chen, M. Ceccarelli, and H.S. Yan, Performance Analysis of the Automata in a Blossoming Flower Clock in the 18th Century, Advances in Service and Industrial Robotics, Springer, Dordrecht, pp. 959-966 (2017).Google Scholar
- 10.M. Ceccarelli, C. Lanni, and G. Carbone, Numerical and Experimental Analysis of Cam Profiles with Circular-arcs, IX. IFToMM International Conference on the Theory of Machines and Mechanisms. pp. 189-207 (2004).Google Scholar