Analysis of Symmetry in Epicyclic Gear Trains
An investigation to symmetry in epicyclic gear trains (EGTs) is carried out in this research. As a consequence of the graph theoretic framework for EGTs, an EGT graph serves as an isomorphic substitute for its kinematic structure. In this work, Nauty & Traces software package is employed for an EGT graph for determining the automorphism group and orbits of its vertices or edges. The procedure is applied to all the rotationally non-isomorphic graphs available in the published atlases, with and up to 7 links and results are presented. It was inferred that only few percentage of distinct EGT chains (graphs) exhibit any symmetry at all.
KeywordsSymmetry Rotation Graph Epicyclic Gear Train Automorphism Group
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Tsai, L.W.: An application of the linkage characteristic polynomial to the topological synthesis of epicyclic gear train. J. Mech. Transm. Autom. Des. 109(3), 329-336 (1987).Google Scholar
- 10.Martins, D., Simoni, R.: Enumeration of planar metamorphic robots configurations. In: 1st ASME/IFToMM International Conference on Reconfigurable Mechanisms and Robots. IEEE, London (2009).Google Scholar
- 11.Simoni, R., Simas, H., Martins, D.: Selecting kinematic structures of parallel manipulators using symmetry and connectivity. In: 39th Mechanisms and Robotics Conference as part of IDETC/CIE. ASME, Boston (2015).Google Scholar
- 12.Rao, A.C., Rao, Y.V.D.: Symmetry in planetary gear trains. Indian Journal of Engineering & Materials Sciences (9), 311-314 (2002).Google Scholar
- 16.Mckay, B.D., Piperno, A.: Nauty and Traces User’s Guide (version 2.7). Technical report, Departimento di Informatica, Sapienza Universita di Roma (2018).Google Scholar
- 17.The nauty and Traces page, http://pallini.di.uniroma1.it/.
- 19.Duzhin, S.V., Chebotarevsky, B.D.: Transformation groups for beginners. Paperback. Universities press, Hyderabad (2011).Google Scholar
- 22.Drewniak, J., Zawiślak, S.: Linear-graph and contour-graph-based models of planetary gears. Journal of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics 48(2), 415-433 (2010).Google Scholar
- 23.Wojnarowski, J., Kopeć, J., Zawiślak, S.: Gears and graphs. Journal of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics 44(1), 139-162 (2006).Google Scholar