The following quotation from the EU’s policy paper defines the peculiarities of the space industry, together with its key characteristics: “The space manufacturing industry (satellites, launchers and ground segment) is a strategic, high-tech, high-risk and investment intensive industry with long development cycles and low production rate. In all space-faring nations, space industry mainly depends on institutional programmes, which take two forms: financing of research and development programmes and buying space products and services, as customers of the industry” (European Commission 2013: 3).
- Business Insider. (2018, April 28). SpaceX Cargo Launches May Soon Cost 50% More—But It’s Still an Offer NASA Can’t Refuse [Online]. Available at https://www.businessinsider.com/spacex-nasa-launch-cost-increase-reasons-2020-2018-4. Retrieved on 28 March 2018.
- European Commission. (2013). COM 2013/108 “Final EU Space Industrial Policy. Releasing the Potential for Economic Growth in the Space Sector”.Google Scholar
- FAA. (2018). The Annual Compendium of Commercial Space Transportation. Available at https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ast/media/2018_ast_compendium.pdf. Retrieved on 11 December 2018.
- Fenema, H. P. (1999). The International Trade in Launch Services. In F. G. Von der Dunk & F. Tronchetti (Eds.), Handbook on Space Law (pp. 79–86). London: Edward Elgar.Google Scholar
- GB Times. (2018, November 1). Landspace Releases Preliminary Report on Chinese Private Rocket Launch Failure [Online]. Available at https://gbtimes.com/landspace-releases-preliminary-report-on-chinese-private-rocket-launch-failure. Retrieved on 20 February 2019.
- Greenberg, J., & Hertzfeld, H. (1992). Space Economics (Progress in Astronautics & Aeronautics). Available at https://arc.aiaa.org/doi/book/10.2514/4.866166. Retrieved on 28 April 2018.
- moonandback. (2013). Dennis Tito and Team Outline Audacious Plan for Mars Trip | Moonandback [Online]. Available at http://moonandback.com/2013/02/27/dennis-tito-and-team-outline-audacious-plan-for-mars-trip/. Retrieved on 28 February 2018.
- Morgan Stanley. (2018). Investment Implications of the Final Frontier. Available at https://www.morganstanley.com/ideas/investing-in-space. Retrieved on 12 February 2019.
- Nardini, F. T. (2018). Space 2.0—The Commercial Space Revolution. Adelaide: Fleet Space. Google Scholar
- NASA. (2017). NASA History Overview. Available at https://www.nasa.gov/content/nasa-history-overview. Retrieved on 8 February 2018.
- Neal, H. A., Smith, T. L., & McCormick, J. B. (2011). Beyond Sputnik: U.S. Science Policy in the Twenty-First Century. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.Google Scholar
- Norberg, C. (Ed.). (2013). Human Spaceflight and Exploration. Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- Popular Mechanics. (2013). The Rise, Fall, and Rise of U.S. Satellite Launchers [Online]. Available at https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/rockets/a8811/the-rise-fall-and-rise-of-us-satellite-launchers-15222856/. Retrieved on 28 February 2018.
- Seradata. (2018). Seradata Space Trak Homepage [Online]. Available at https://www.seradata.com. Retrieved on 28 April 2018.
- SIA. (2017). Satellite Industry Association’s 2016 Report. Available at https://www.sia.org/annual-state-of-the-satellite-industry-reports/2017-sia-state-of-satellite-industry-report/. Retrieved on 27 February 2019.
- SIA. (2018). Satellite Industry Association’s 2017 Report. Available at https://www.sia.org/2018_ssir/. Retrieved on 27 February 2019.
- Space Daily. (2018, August 24). Chinese Private Space Company to Launch First Carrier Rocket. Available at http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Chinese_private_space_company_to_launch_first_carrier_rocket_999.html. Retrieved on 10 November 2018.
- SpaceX. (2018). SpaceX Homepage. Available at https://www.spacex.com/. Retrieved on 28 April 2018.
- Space.com. (2018, August 27). SpaceX’s 1st ‘Block 5’ Rocket: A Tale of 2 Launches. Available at https://www.space.com/41636-spacex-first-block-5-falcon-rocket-launch-future.html.
- The Space Foundation (2019). The Space Report 2018 [Online]. Available at https://www.spacefoundation.org/. Retrieved on 27 April 2019.
- The Space Report. (2019). The Space Report Online 2018 [Online]. Available at https://www.thespacereport.org/year/2018. Retrieved on 28 April 2018.
- UCS Satellite Database. (2019). Online Database. Available at https://www.ucsusa.org/nuclear-weapons/space-weapons/satellite-database. Retrieved on 12 February 2019.
- UKSA. (2018). UK Space Agency. Available at https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/uk-space-agency. Retrieved on 11 February 2018.
- Vedda, V. (2009). Choice, Not Fate: Shaping a Sustainable Future in the Space Age. Bloomington, IN: Xlibris Corporation.Google Scholar