The concluding chapter reflects back on the central themes explored within the individual chapters and highlights a number of traits in the EU’s peacebuilding that have a bearing both on the particular brand of peacebuilding on offer and on the promise of its peacebuilding missions. Three issues—concerning the value attached to acting per se, the way in which the EU defines the problems it then goes on to solve, and finally the propensity to talk on behalf of local agency in the conflict zones—featuring most prominently in the empirical chapters are taken up once more to tease out some wider implications of these findings.
KeywordsActing per se EU’s brand of peacebuilding CSDP Multiple and significant others
- Adichie, Chimamanda Ngozi. 2009. “Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: The Danger of a Single Story.” TEDGlobal Conference. https://www.ted.com/talks/chimamanda_adichie_the_danger_of_a_single_story/transcript?language=en.
- Ashton, Catherine. 2010. “Address by Catherine Ashton at the Joint Debate on Foreign and Security Policy—European Parliament Plenary.” Strasbourg. In EU Security and Defence: Core Documents 2010, vol. XI, compiled by Catherine Glière, March 10. Paris: EUISS.Google Scholar
- Björkdahl, Annika, Stefanie Kappler, and Oliver Richmond. 2009. “The EU Peacebuilding Framework: Potentials and Pitfalls in the Western Balkans and the Middle East.” JAD-PbP Working Paper No. 3, 1–55. http://www4.lu.se/upload/LUPDF/Samhallsvetenskap/Just_and_Durable_Peace/WorkingPaper3.pdf.
- Butler, Judith. 2004. Precarious Life: The Powers of Mourning and Violence. London: Verso.Google Scholar
- Chabal, Patrick. 2012. The End of Conceit: Western Rationality After Postcolonialism. London: Zed Books.Google Scholar
- Fetherston, A. B. 2000. “Peacekeeping, Conflict Resolution and Peacebuilding: A Reconsideration of Theoretical Frameworks.” In Peacekeeping and Conflict Resolution, edited by Tom Woodhouse and Oliver Ramsbotham, 190–218. London: Frank Cass.Google Scholar
- Kappler, Stefanie. 2012a. “‘Mysterious in Content’: The European Union Peacebuilding Framework and Local Spaces of Agency in Bosnia-Herzegovina.” PhD diss., University of St Andrews.Google Scholar
- Keukeleire, Stephan, Arben Kalaja, and Artan Çollaku. 2011. “The European Union’s Policy on Kosovo.” In European Foreign Policy Legal and Political Perspectives, edited by Panos Koutrakos, 172–202. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing.Google Scholar
- Muppidi, Himadeep. 2004. The Politics of the Global. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar