Cambodia: Growth with a Red Flag
Ear and Burgos offer a much-needed summary of Cambodia’s economy in the twentieth century and recent economic performance. Focusing on talent, human capital, and wages, they identify sources of future growth along with economic priorities and international funding, paying particular attention to China’s outsized role in the Cambodian economy. Seventy percent of Cambodia’s national roads and bridges are funded by China and nearly half of Cambodia’s public debt is held by China. Ear and Burgos examine the hard and soft infrastructure for business, concluding that despite rapid economic growth, clouds are on the horizon with the possible suspension of Everything But Arms trade preferences with the EU and Generalized System of Preferences with the US.
- Asian Development Bank. 2014a. Asian Development Outlook 2014: Fiscal Policy for Inclusive Growth. Mandaluyong City, Philippines: Asian Development Bank.Google Scholar
- ———. 2014b. Cambodia Needs Broader Economic Base to Sustain Growth. http://www.adb.org/az/node/150997&favtitle=Cambodia%20Needs%20Broader%20Economic%20Base%20to%20Sustain%20Growth%20%E2%80%93%20ADB%20Report. Accessed March 7, 2019.
- ———. 2018, February. Toward Adopting a Skills Development Fund for Cambodia. No. 90. https://think-asia.org/bitstream/handle/11540/8031/adb-brief-090-skills-development-fund-cambodia.pdf?sequence=1. Accessed March 7, 2019.
- Bullen, Darryl. 2012. Village Self-Reliance Review Cambodia. Asia Refuge Projects. 37. http://leap201.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Leap201-Cambodia-Village-Self-Reliance-Review-2012.pdf. Accessed March 7, 2019.
- ECCC. 2016. Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia. May 12, https://www.eccc.gov.kh/sites/default/files/documents/courtdoc/2016-05-17%2000:26/D198_EN.PDF. Accessed March 7, 2019.
- Heritage Foundation. 2018. 2018 Index of Economic Freedom. https://www.heritage.org/index/pdf/2018/countries/cambodia.pdf. Accessed March 7, 2019.
- Holligan, Jennifer, and Tarik Abdulhak. 2011, April. Overview of the Cambodian History, Governance, and Legal Sources. Hauser Global Law Program. http://www.nyulawglobal.org/globalex/Cambodia.html#judicialbranch. Accessed March 7, 2019.
- IMF. 2015. Cambodia: 2015 Article IV Consultation—Press Release; Staff Report; and Statement by the Executive Director for Cambodia IMF Country Report No. 15/307. International Monetary Fund. http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/scr/2014/cr1433.pdf. Accessed March 7, 2019.
- Khmer Times. 2018, November 7. Cambodia Must Diversify Its Export Base, Says Chinese Official. https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50547890/cambodia-must-diversify-its-export-base-says-chinese-official/. Accessed March 7, 2019.
- MoEYS. 2014, March. Ministry of Education, Youth, and Sport Education Strategic Plan 2014–2018. http://www.moeys.gov.kh/images/moeys/policies-and-strategies/559-en.pdf. Accessed March 7, 2019.
- Vannarin, Neou. 2018, July 20. Friends with Benefits. Voice of America. https://projects.voanews.com/cambodia-election-2018/english/feature/chinese-influence.html. Accessed March 7, 2019.
- World Bank. 2016, June 9. Cambodia and World Bank Expand Development Engagement to Reduce Poverty and Share Prosperity. http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/press-release/2016/06/09/cambodia-and-world-bank-expand-development-engagement. Accessed March 7, 2019.
- ———. 2017a, October. Cambodia Climbing Up the Manufacturing Value Chain. http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/628341511277852360/pdf/121519-WP-PUBLIC-NOV21-7PM-October-2017-Cambodia-Economic-Update-Final.pdf. Accessed March 7, 2019.
- ———. 2017b, April. Cambodia Economic Update. http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/780641494510994888/pdf/114938-PUBLIC-may-16-8pm-Cambodia-Economic-report-v2-s.pdf. Accessed March 7, 2019.
- ———. 2018, September 27. Country Overview: Cambodia. http://www.worldbank.org/en/country/cambodia/overview. Accessed March 7, 2019.
- World Economic Forum. 2017. The Global Human Capital Report 2017. http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_Global_Human_Capital_Report_2017.pdf. Accessed March 7, 2019.Google Scholar
- World Services Group. n.d. Cambodia Business Guide. https://www.worldservicesgroup.com/countries.asp?c=cb&country=Cambodia#people. Accessed March 7, 2019.
- WTO Secretariat. 2011. Trade Policy Review: Cambodia WT/TPR/S/253. World Trade Organization. https://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/tpr_e/s253_sum_e.pdf. Accessed March 7, 2019.
- Xinhua. 2017, July 21. 70 pct of Roads, Bridges in Cambodia Built Under Chinese Support: Transport Minister. http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2017-07/21/c_136461623.htm. Accessed March 7, 2019.