Advertisement

Basic Income: A Rational Proposal Guaranteeing the Material Existence of the Population

  • Daniel Raventós
  • Julie Wark
Chapter

Abstract

One of the usual criticisms of basic income is that, if it can be financed at all, it would only be a very small amount and not worth the effort, while a basic income equal to the poverty threshold would be impossible to finance, or so the argument goes. Our aim is to show that a basic income equal to the poverty line can indeed be financed with a progressive tax reform in which the officially richest 20% would receive the basic income but would pay higher taxes than at present. The other 80% of the population would gain. And the poorest people would gain most. As for the justice of the proposal, our arguments are based on the historical republican concept of freedom.

Keywords

Basic income Democratic republicans Distribution Equality Freedom Justice Republicanism Tax reform 

Works Cited

  1. Arcarons, Jordi, Antoni Domènech, Daniel Raventós and Lluís Torrens. “Un modelo de financiación de la Renta Básica para el conjunto del Reino de España: sí, se puede y es racional.” Sin Permiso, 7 Dec. 2014a, www.sinpermiso.info/textos/un-modelo-de-financiacin-de-la-renta-bsica-para-el-conjunto-del-reino-de-espaa-s-se-puede-y-es. Accessed 1 Jan. 2019.
  2. Arcarons, Jordi, Daniel Raventós and Lluís Torrens. “Feasibility of Financing a Basic Income.” Basic Income Studies, 9, 1–2, 2014b, pp. 79–93.Google Scholar
  3. ———. Renta básica incondicional. Una propuesta de financiación racional y justa. Serbal, 2017.Google Scholar
  4. Bertomeu, María Julia and Antoni Domènech. “El republicanismo y la crisis del rawlsismo metodológico (Nota sobre método y substancia normativa en el debate republicano).” Isegoría 33, 2005, pp. 51–75.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  5. Bertomeu, María Julia and Daniel Raventós. “El derecho de existencia y la renta básica de ciudadanía: una justificación republicana.” Sin Permiso, 12 Mar. 2006, www.sinpermiso.info/textos/el-derecho-de-existencia-y-la-renta-bsica-de-ciudadana-una-justificacin-republicana. Accessed 1 Jan. 2019.
  6. Blackstone, William. “Of Property, in General.” Commentaries on the Laws of England, eBooks@Adelaide, 2014, ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/b/blackstone/william/comment/book2.1.html. Accessed 5 Mar. 2019.
  7. Casassas, David. “Basic Income and the Republican Ideal: Rethinking Material Independence in Contemporary Societies.” Basic Income Studies, 2, 2, 2008, pp. 1–7, davidcasassas.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/basic-income-and-the-republican-ideal.pdf. Accessed 5 Mar. 2019.
  8. Casassas, David and Daniel Raventós. “Propiedad y libertad: doce tesis sobre la defensa republicana de la renta básica.” Sin Permiso, 6 Jul. 2008, www.sinpermiso.info/textos/propiedad-y-libertad-doce-tesis-sobre-la-defensa-republicana-de-la-renta-bsica. Accessed 1 Jan. 2019.
  9. Domènech, Antoni, and Daniel Raventós. “Property and Republican Freedom: An Institutional Approach to Basic Income.” Basic Income Studies, 2, 2, 2008, pp. 1–8, www.researchgate.net/profile/Daniel_Raventos2/publication/24015211_Property_and_Republican_Freedom_An_Institutional_Approach_to_Basic_Income/links/5acc67c3a6fdcc8bfc87560e/Property-and-Republican-Freedom-An-Institutional-Approach-to-Basic-Income.pdf?origin=publication_detail. Accessed 5 Mar. 2019.
  10. Pateman, Carole. “Democratizing Citizenship: Some Advantages of a Basic Income.” Politics and Society, 32–1, 2004, pp. 89–105.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  11. ———. “Why Republicanism?” Basic Income Studies, 2, 2,  https://doi.org/10.2202/1932-0183.1087.
  12. Pettit, Philip. “A Republican Right to Basic Income?” Basic Income Studies, 2, 2, 2008, pp. 1–8, www.princeton.edu/~ppettit/papers/2008/A%20Republican%20Right%20to%20Basic%20Income.pdf. Accessed 5 Mar. 2019.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  13. Raventós, Daniel. Basic Income. The Material Conditions of Freedom. Pluto Press, 2007.Google Scholar
  14. Raventós, Daniel and Julie Wark. Against Charity. Counterpunch, 2018.Google Scholar
  15. Uribarri, Iñaki. “No es una buena idea extender el sistema de rentas mínimas condicionadas de Euskadi al conjunto del Reino de España.” Sin Permiso, 8 Nov. 2015, www.sinpermiso.info/textos/no-es-una-buena-idea-extender-el-sistema-de-rentas-minimas-condicionadas-de-euskadi-al-conjunto-del. Accessed 1 Jan. 2019.
  16. ———. “El fracaso del modelo de rentas mínimas condicionadas del País Vasco.” Sin Permiso, 30 Apr. 2017, www.sinpermiso.info/textos/el-fracaso-del-modelo-de-rentas-minimas-condicionadas-del-pais-vasco. Accessed 1 Jan. 2019.
  17. White, Stuart. “The Republican Case for Basic Income: A Plea for Difficulty.” Basic Income Studies, 22, 22,  https://doi.org/10.2202/1932-0183.1088.

Copyright information

© The Author(s) 2019

Authors and Affiliations

  • Daniel Raventós
    • 1
  • Julie Wark
    • 2
  1. 1.University of BarcelonaBarcelonaSpain
  2. 2.Independent Writer and TranslatorBarcelonaSpain

Personalised recommendations