Identity is one form in which we understand things to be true. A logical expression such as A = A or a mathematical expression such as 1 = 1 is a statement of identity and, on that basis, is true. It is true that A equals A because A is identical to A: A is A. And, equally, it is true that A does not equal B. 1 does not equal 0. Truth is found in identity: not in difference. This simply logical understanding of truth as identity is both profound and superficial.
- Audickas, L., Dempsey, N., & Keen, R. (2019). Membership of UK political parties. [Online] Researchbriefings.parliament.uk. Retrieved January 6, 2019, from https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN05125.
- BBC News. (2018). Trans inmate jailed for prison sex attacks. [Online]. Retrieved January 6, 2019, from https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-45825838.
- BBC News. (2019a). Police investigation over ‘misgendering’. [Online]. Retrieved March 26, 2019, from https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-47638527.
- BBC News. (2019b). Vegans call me murderer and rapist. [Online]. Retrieved April 7, 2019, from https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42833132.
- Delsol, C. (2003). Icarus fallen: The search for meaning in an uncertain world. Wilmington, DE: ISI Books.Google Scholar
- Flood, A. (2018). ‘Scary new world’: Political book sales explode as UK readers seek answers. [Online] The Guardian. Retrieved January 6, 2019, from https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/nov/07/scary-new-world-political-book-sales-explode-as-uk-readers-seek-answers-waterstones.
- Fukuyama, F. (2018). Identity: Contemporary identity politics and the struggle for recognition. London: Profile Books.Google Scholar
- Heidegger, M. (2013). Building dwelling thinking. In Poetry, language, thought. New York: Harper Perennial.Google Scholar
- Kilgore, E. (2019). The near-extinction of pro-choice republicans in Congress. [Online] Intelligencer. Retrieved April 7, 2019, from http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/06/pro-choice-republicans-in-congress-are-nearly-extinct.html.
- Marsh, S. (2019). Cambridge University rescinds Jordan Peterson invitation. [Online] The Guardian. Retrieved March 26, 2019, from https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/mar/20/cambridge-university-rescinds-jordan-peterson-invitation?CMP=twt_gu.
- Sartre, J.-P. (2007). Existentialism & humanism. London: Methuen.Google Scholar
- Seigel, J. (2007). The idea of the self: Thought and experience in Western Europe since the seventeenth century. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- The Telegraph. (2018). Dutch man, 69, who ‘identifies as 20 years younger’ launches legal battle to change age. [Online]. Retrieved January 6, 2019, from https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/07/dutch-man-69-identifies-20-years-younger-launches-legal-battle/.
- University of Cambridge. (2019). Rescindment of visiting fellowship | statement from Vice-Chancellor Professor Stephen J Toope. [Online]. Retrieved March 30, 2019, from https://www.cam.ac.uk/news/rescindment-of-visiting-fellowship-statement-from-vice-chancellor-professor-stephen-j-toope.