Comparative Analysis of Controlling Drone
The drones are entering our lives in many areas. There are many problems as well. Various studies are under way to solve these problems. The conventional drone manipulation method is a PUI (Physical User Interface) based which provides a two dimensional control and physically input value, but the newly presented manipulation method is a three dimensional NUI (Natural User Interface) based manipulation method which is mapped naturally with the movement of the drone. There were studies to analyze each manipulation method, but there was no precedent study to compare and analyze the characteristics of these two manipulation methods based on the experiment. Therefore, in this study, the designated sections are to be driven by each manipulation method, and the data obtained based on motion capture and subjective experience surveys are compared through the experiment.
KeywordsDrones Manipulation Comparison Motion capture PUI NUI Usability test of drone
This work was jointly supported by the National Program for Excellence in Software and by the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) grants funded by the Ministry of Science and ICT (2017-0-00130; 2018R1C1B5047805).
- 1.Kim, M., Kim, B., Lee, J., Ji, Y.: Usability evaluation for user interface of a drone remote controller (2016)Google Scholar
- 2.Jang, W., Kim, H.: Development of an intuitive drone controller based on hand motions (2018)Google Scholar
- 3.Jeon, J., You, S., Jo, K.: The embodiment of the drone controller: single-handed 10. Drone Controller to Fly a Drone Safely and Freely (2017)Google Scholar
- 4.Sarkar, A., Ram, R.G., Patel, K.A., Capoor, G.K.: Gesture control of drone using a motion controller (2016)Google Scholar
- 5.Jo, M.: Development and UX evaluation of a drone controller designed from an egocentric user perspective (2016)Google Scholar
- 6.Fernández, R.A.S., Sanchez-Lopez, J.L., Sampedro, C., Bavle, H., Molina, M., Campoy, P.: Natural user interfaces for human-drone multi-modal interaction (2016)Google Scholar
- 7.Hyung, J., Kim, S., Noe, J., Lee, J.: Parameters of force-experience analysis in the PUI (2018)Google Scholar
- 9.Min, K., Jung, E.: Suggestion for naturalness gesture collection for NUI design (2014)Google Scholar