Wrapping Up: The New Geographies and Frontiers of the AI have Arrived. Who is Taking the Lead?
We crafted this book to offer a fresh and comprehensive account of the far-reaching transformations experienced by the automotive industry (AI). We called for studies and frameworks that better help us to decode the nature and internal logic of such transformations along with the reconfiguration of the industry’s geographical, technological, organizational and institutional footprints. The 18 country cases analysed allow us to find out a set of common tendencies across national frontiers, coloured by the embedded nature of players, government institutions and local market environments. In what follows, we reflect on these findings around five thematic issues, namely changing geographies (relocating production centres, displacing markets and product cycle revitalization), actors’ strategies (power geometries and struggles for the industry leadership), industrial relations systems (wages and labour relations), industry transitions and government policies.
- Anderson, Carl R., and Carl P. Zeithaml. 1984. “Stage of the Product Life Cycle, Business Strategy, and Business Performance.” The Academy of Management Journal. Vol. 27, No. 1 (Mar., 1984), pp. 5–24.Google Scholar
- Arnholt, Mike et al. 1996. Foreign Invasion: Imports, Transplants Change Industry Forever. WardsAUTO. Online. Accessed September 15, 2018. https://www.wardsauto.com/news-analysis/foreign-invasion-imports-transplants-change-auto-industry-forever.
- Boston Consulting Group (Sirkin, Harold L., Michael Zinser, and Justin Rose). 2014. The Shifting Economics of Global Manufacturing. How Cost Competitiveness Is Changing Worldwide. Online. Accessed October 10, 2018. https://www.bcg.com/publications/2014/lean-manufacturing-globalization-shifting-economics-global-manufacturing.aspx.
- Boyer, Robert, and Michel Freyssenet. 2002. The Productive Models. The Conditions of Profitability. London and New York: Palgrave.Google Scholar
- ——— 2016. China a New Laboratory for Productive Models. Gerpisa Coloquium 2016, Puebla.Google Scholar
- Business Insider (Garfiel, Leanna). 2017. 12 Major Cities that are Starting to Go Car-free, February 2. Online. https://www.businessinsider.com/cities-going-car-free-2017-2.
- Center for Automotive Research. 2018. NAFTA Briefing: Review of Current NAFTA Proposals and Potential Impacts on the North American Automotive Industry. CAR.Google Scholar
- Covarrubias V., Alex. 2014. The Mexicanisation of Labor Relations in the American AI: Two-tier-labor Systems in Play & the Reconfiguration of Governance Compromises. In Revista Latinoamericana de Estudios del Trabajo, Año 19-Número 32. Brasil.Google Scholar
- ———. 2017. La geografía del auto en México ¿Cuál rol de las instituciones locales? Revista de Estudios Sociales 27 (49): 221–241.Google Scholar
- ———. 2018. When Disruptors Converge. The Last Automobile Revolution. International Journal of Automobile Technology and Management 18 (2): 81–104.Google Scholar
- European Commission. 2017. GEAR 2030: Report on Automotive Competitiveness and Sustainability. Final Report. Online. Accessed November 27, 2018. https://ec.europa.eu/growth/content/high-level-group-gear-2030-report-on-automotive-competitiveness-and-sustainability_en.
- Florida, R., and M. Kenney. 1996. Japanese Automotive Transplants and the Transfer of the Japanese Production System. In Social Reconstructions of the World Automobile Industry, ed. F.C. Deyo. London: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Fortune Global 500. 2018. Accessed September 2, 2018. http://fortune.com/global500.
- Gao, P. et al. 2014. A Road Map to the Future for the Auto Industry. McKinsey Quarterly. Online. Accessed June 12, 2018. https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/automotive-and-assembly/our-insights/a-road-map-to-the-future-for-the-auto-industry#0.
- Gereffi, Gary. 2018. Global Value Chains and Development. Redefining the Contours of 21st Century Capitalism. Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- GTAI. 2018. Germany Trade and Invest. The Automotive Industry in Germany. Industry Overview. Online. Accessed September 22, 2018. https://www.gtai.de/GTAI/Content/EN/Invest/_SharedDocs/Downloads/GTAI/Industry-overviews/industry-overview-automotive-industry-en.pdf?v=15.
- Jetin, Bruno, ed. 2015a. Global Automobile Demand. Major Trends in Emerging Economies. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- ———, ed. 2015b. Global Automobile Demand. Major Trends in Mature Economies. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Jullien, Bernard, Tommaso Parid, and Sigfrido Ramírez. 2014. The EUs Government of Automobiles: From “Harmonisation to Deep Incompleteness”. In The EU’s Government of Industries: Omnipresent, Incomplete and Depoliticized, ed. Bernard Jullien and Andy Smith. Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Levitt, Theodore. 1965. “Exploit the Product Life Cycle.” Harvard Business Review Vol. 43, November–December, pp. 81–94.Google Scholar
- OECD. 2018. Industry and Globalization. Global Value Chains. Online. Accessed August 31, 2018. http://www.oecd.org/industry/ind/global-value-chains.htm.
- Piore, Michel, and Charles Sabel. 1984. The Second Industrial Divide: Possibilities For Prosperity. Basic Books.Google Scholar
- Rutherford, M. 2017. The Global Car Manufacturing Wage Gap: What Do Car Factory Workers Earn? Autoexpress. Online. Accessed August 28, 2018. https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/98986/the-global-car-manufacturing-wage-gap-what-do-car-factory-workers-earn.
- The Motor Industry of Japan 2018. Online. http://www.jama-english.jp/publications/MIJ2018.pdf
- Traub-Merz, Rudolf, ed. 2017. The Automotive Sector in Emerging Economies: Industrial Policies, Market Dynamics and Trade Unions Trends & Perspectives in Brazil, China, India, Mexico and Russia. Berlin: Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung.Google Scholar
- Wang, William Hua. 2015. Dynamics of Product Architecture of Chinese Carmakers. Gerpisa 2015 Colloquium.Google Scholar
- Workman, Daniel. 2018. Car Exports by Country. World Top Exporters. Online. Accessed December 12, 2018. http://www.worldstopexports.com/car-exports-country/.