The Indian Automobile Industry: Technology Enablers Preparing for the Future
India is now the fourth largest auto market, and the authors analyse how its position hinges upon established domestic firms and original equipment manufacturers and a strong market in terms of both the domestic demand and exports. Against this backdrop, the study examines how the adoption of emerging technologies among the companies is facilitating the Indian automobile industry to grow and remain competitive. To this end, the authors discuss the enablers of changing competitive landscape in the industry and analyse the Indian government’s strategies and policies to facilitate the navigation on it of domestic players.
- Automobile Components Manufacturers Association. 2016. http://www.acma.in/docmgr/ACMA_Industry_Data/Industry-Statistics.pdf
- Automotive Mission Plan. (2006) 2016. Ministry of Heavy Industries & Public Enterprises, Govt. of India.Google Scholar
- Barnes, Thomas. 2014. The Role of Labour Contractors in the Auto Industry: Evidence from India's National Capital Region. Paper presented at Gerpisa colloquium, Kyoto (2014).Google Scholar
- IHS Markit Survey. 2018.Google Scholar
- Nag, Biswajit, Saikat Banerjee, and Rittwik Chatterjee. 2007. Changing Features of the Automobile Industry in Asia: Comparison of Production, Trade and Market Structure in Selected Countries. Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade, Working Paper Series, No. 37, July 2007.Google Scholar
- Remesh, Babu P. 2017. An Automotive Revolution in Neoliberal India: Evolution, Industrial Structure, Trends and Prospects. In The Automotive Sector in Emerging Economies: Industrial Policies, Market Dynamics and Trade Unions. Trends & Perspectives in Brazil, China, India, Mexico and Russia, ed. Rudolf Traub-Merz. Berlin: Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung.Google Scholar
- Ruigrok, Winfried, and Rob van Tulder. 1995. The Logic of International Restructuring. London and New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- SIAM. 2016. Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers. http://www.siamindia.com/.
- Sreenivasan, P., and Manas Ranjan Tripathy. 2014. Employment Relations in Automotive Industry: Indian Experiences. Indian Journal of Industrial Relations 49 (3): 499–512.Google Scholar