Simulating Cognitive Deficits in Parkinson’s Disease
- 326 Downloads
Parkinson’s disease (PD) is caused by the accelerated death of dopamine–producing neurons. Numerous studies documenting cognitive deficits of people with PD have revealed impairment in a variety of tasks related to memory, learning, visuospatial skills, and attention. In this chapter, we describe a general approach used to model PD and review three computational models that have been used to simulate cognitive deficits related to PD. The models presentation is followed by a discussion of the role of glia cells and astrocytes in neurodegenerative diseases. We propose that more biologically–realistic computational models of neurodegenerative diseases that include astrocytes may lead to a better understanding and treatment of neurodegenerative diseases in general and PD in particular.
KeywordsParkinson’s disease Dopamine Astrocytes
This research was funded in part by the National Institute of Mental Health, award #2R01MH063760.
- 6.Hélie S, Chakravarthy S, Moustafa AA (2013) Exploring the cognitive and motor functions of the basal ganglia: an integrative review of computational cognitive neuroscience models. Front Comput Neurosci 7:174. http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fncom.2013.00174/abstract CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Wickens J, Kotter R (1995) Cellular models of reinforcement. In: Houks JC, Davis JL, Beiser DG (eds) Models of information processing in the basal ganglia. MIT Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- 10.Heaton RK, Chelune GJ, Talley JL, Kay GG, Curtiss G (1993) Wisconsin card sorting test manual. Psychological Assessment Resources, Inc., OdessaGoogle Scholar
- 26.Izhikevich EM (2007) Dynamical systems in neuroscience. Cambridge, MA, MIT PressGoogle Scholar
- 30.Sajedinia Z (2014) Artificial astrocyte networks, as components in artificial neural networks. In: Unconventional computation and natural computation. Springer, pp 316–326Google Scholar
- 32.Valenza G, Tedesco L, Lanatà A, De Rossi D, Scilingo EP (2013) Novel spiking neuron-astrocyte networks based on nonlinear transistor-like models of tripartite synapses. In: 2013 35th annual international conference of the IEEE engineering in medicine and biology society (EMBC). IEEE, pp 6559–6562Google Scholar
- 33.Haghiri S, Ahmadi A, Nouri M, Heidarpur M (2014) An investigation on neuroglial interaction effect on Izhikevich neuron behaviour. In: 2014 22nd Iranian conference on electrical engineering (ICEE). IEEE, pp 88–92Google Scholar
- 34.Sajedinia Z, Hélie S. (2018) A new computational model for astrocytes and their role in biologically realistic neural networks. Comput Intell Neurosci 2018Google Scholar