Structure of Sustainability Valuation
This chapter introduces the concept of sustainability valuation of business. In this valuation, the value of business is determined by the values of sustainability businesses contribute to the sustainability of society. This is a main departure from conventional valuation methods. It finds a win-win situation between businesses and the sustainability of society, as the value of business would increase only when the business improves the sustainability of society. This chapter introduces key concepts such as de jure and de facto sustainability, describes the sequence of sustainability valuation, and discusses how this method would distinguish itself from other valuation methods.
KeywordsSustainability valuation De jure sustainability De facto sustainability Win-win situation between business and society
- Copeland, T., Koller, T., & Murrin, J. (1990). Valuation: Measuring and managing the value of companies. Wiley.Google Scholar
- European Commission. (2011). A renewed EU strategy 2011–14 for corporate social responsibility. EC COM, 681. https://ec.europa.eu/growth/industry/corporate-social-responsibility_en.
- Georgescu-Roegen, N. (1971). The entropy law and the economic process. Cambridge M. A.: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Koller, T., Goedhart, M., & Wessels, D. (2010). Valuation: measuring and managing the value of companies (4th ed.). Wiley.Google Scholar
- McDonough, W. (2002). Cradle to cradle: Remaking the way we make things. New York: North Point Press.Google Scholar
- Odum, H. T., & Odum, E. (1976). Energy: Basis for man and nature. New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Randall, A. (1987). Resource economics: An economic approach to natural resource and environmental policy (2nd ed.). New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Daly, H. E. (1991). Steady state economics (2nd ed.). Washington, D. C: Island Press.Google Scholar
- Lietaer, B., Arnsperger, C., Goerner, S., & Brunnhuber, S. (2012). Money and Sustainability: The Missing Link. A report from the Club of Rome. EU Chapter to Finance Watch and the World Business Academy, Triarchy Press.Google Scholar
- Max-Neef, M. (2016). Philosophy of ecological economics. International Journal of Management and Science, 5, 366.Google Scholar
- Oh, Y. (2019). Corporate social responsibility and the value of a firm. In R. Schmidpeter (Ed.), International dimensions of sustainable management, CSR, sustainability, ethics & governance. Switzerland: Springer Nature.Google Scholar