Dealing with Bio-terrorism
Issue: Terrorists may well have access to bioweapons that are capable of killing tens of thousands of people or more in a single convulsive moment. We call these persons “SIMADS” Single Individuals, Massively Destructive. Preparations for such attacks may be hard to detect. So, stated simply, the issue we hand to the future is avoiding killing technologies such as man-made epidemic-causing viruses or bombers who are bent on killing as many people as possible. Solve the problem before it is too late.
- Brown, Dan. 2013. Inferno, 103. New York: Doubleday.Google Scholar
- CDC. 2018. Remembering the 1918 Influenza Pandemic. Atlanta. https://www.cdc.gov/features/1918-flu-pandemic/index.html. Retrieved November 25, 2018.
- Cholera’s Seven Pandemics. 2008. CBC News. https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/cholera-s-seven-pandemics-1.758504. Retrieved November 25, 2018.
- Cioce, V. 2013. Chief, Vaccine Stockpile BARDA. Pandemic Influenza MCM. https://www.medicalcountermeasures.gov/media/35695/cioce_current_vaccine_and_adjuvant_stockpiles.pdf. Retrieved November 21, 2017.
- Conner, Steve. 2014. American Scientists Controversially Recreate Deadly Spanish Flu Virus. The Independent, June 11.Google Scholar
- Gordon, Theodore, Yair Sharan, and Elizabeth Florescu. 2015. Lone Wolf Terrorism Prospects and Potential Strategies to Address the Threat. ISBN 978-0-692-45554-8. Available through Amazon.Google Scholar
- Hamdi, Alkhshali, Laura Smith-Spark, and Susannah Cullinane. 2017. Egypt Mosque Attack Death Toll Climbs Above 300. CNN, November 25. http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/25/africa/egypt-sinai-mosque-massacre/index.html. Retrieved November 26, 2017.
- Havascope. 2010. Global Black Market Information. http://www.havocscope.com/estimated-amount-of-ransoms-paid-out-worldwide-in-2010/. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- Maron, D. 2014. Weaponized Ebola: Is It Really a Bioterror Threat? Scientific American, September 25. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/weaponized-ebola-is-it-really-a-bioterror-threat/. Retrieved November 22, 2017.
- McAvoy, E., and David Randall. 2010. The £1 Billion Hostage Trade. The Independent. London, October 17, 2010.Google Scholar
- Metcalfe, Tom. 2016. Black-Death Survey Reveals Incredible Devastation Wrought by Plague. Live Science, June 1. https://www.livescience.com/54940-archaeologists-map-black-death-impact.html. Retrieved December 30, 2017.
- The Great Flood of 1931 at Gaoyou. 2007. Gaoyou, China, September 25. http://aboutgaoyou.com/history/floods/the_floods.aspx. Retrieved November 25, 2018.
- The Millennium Project. 2003. Future S&T Management Policy Issues: 2025 Global Scenarios. The Millennium Project, Washington. http://www.Millennium-project.org/millennium/scenarios/ST’s.
- US Department of State. 2017. National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism, July 2017. https://www.statista.com/statistics/202871/number-of-fatalities-by-terrorist-attacks-worldwide/. Retrieved November 14, 2017.