The Perfect Human
Unlocking the mysteries of human genetics and developing the technologies to manipulate heredity will give, for better or worse, a new dimension to our ability to set the fate of our children and through them and their children and ultimately the fate of humanity itself. It starts now. In our time, ad hoc experimentation has already begun. We will be able to cure diseases that now we can barely understand, but the broader question what would we like to become? Are we wise enough to attempt to answer that question?
- Bender, Eric. 2018. Regulating the Jean-Therapy Revolution. Nature, December 12. https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-07641-1?WT.feed_name=subjects_genetics. Retrieved December 12, 2018.
- Bianconi, Eva, et al. 2013. An Estimation of the Number of Cells of the Human Body. Annals of Human Biology 40. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3109/03014460.2013.807878. Retrieved December 11, 2018.
- Botting, Eileen. 2018. A Chinese Scientist Says He Edited Babies Jeans: What Are the Rights of the Genetically Modified Child? The Washington Post, December 6. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2018/12/06/a-chinese-scientist-says-hes-edited-babies-genes-what-are-the-rights-of-the-genetically-modified-child/?utm_term=.cfaf8b24a541. Retrieved December 13, 2018.
- Costa, M. 2018. Promising Results from Beta-Thalassaemia Gene Therapy Trial. Bionews, April 23. https://www.bionews.org.uk/page_135491. Retrieved December 12, 2018.
- Cross, Ryan. 2018. Broad Prevails Over Berkeley in CRISPR Patent Dispute. Chemical and Engineering News, September 10. https://cen.acs.org/policy/litigation/Broad-prevails-over-Berkeley-CRISPR/96/web/2018/09. Retrieved December 14, 2018.
- Ely, Kaitlynn. 2018. Saint Jude Develops Gene Therapy for Severe Combined Immune Deficiency. Rare Disease Report, January 15. https://www.raredr.com/news/gene-therapy-severe-combined-immunodeficiency Retrieved December 12, 2018.
- Figueiredo, Marta. 2018. Microdystrophin Gene Therapy Shows Promising Interim Results in Phase 1/2 Trial. Muscular Dystrophy News Today, June 22. https://musculardystrophynews.com/2018/06/22/microdystrophin-gene-therapy-shows-promise-early-trial-results/. Retrieved December 12, 2018.
- Holocaust Encyclopedia. 1987. Article on Nazi Medical Experiments. https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/en/article/nazi-medical-experiments. Retrieved December 12, 2018.
- Inacio, Patricia. 2015. Gene Therapy Shows Promising Results as a New Treatment for Cystic Fibrosis. Lung Disease News, July 7. https://lungdiseasenews.com/2015/07/07/gene-therapy-shows-promising-results-new-treatment-cystic-fibrosis/. Retrieved December 12, 2018.
- NCI. 2018. BRCA Mutations: Cancer Risk and Genetic Testing. National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Washington, DC. https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/genetics/brca-fact-sheet#q2. Retrieved December 12, 2018.
- Nienhuis, A.W. et al. 2017. Gene Therapy for Hemophilia. US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, Washington, DC. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28411016; Retrieved December 12, 2018.
- NIH. 2018. Genetics Home Reference. National Institutes of Health, Washington, DC. https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/primer/basics/dna. Retrieved December 11, 2018.
- Watson, Melody. 2018. Gene Therapy Shows Promising Results for Hemophilia. WFH Network, Hemophilia World. https://news.wfh.org/gene-therapy-shows-promising-results-hemophilia/. Retrieved December 12, 2018.