Could our political deadlock have its origins in evolutionary psychology, in the primal need to assert territory and defend it, in the stereotyping of an enemy, in the comfort and safety of belonging to a clan? Whatever its origins, chaos pervades the political scene. Right versus left, Democrats vs. Republicans, conservative versus liberal: Who are you with? Is our memory of more gentle time a false image? Can we ever achieve that kind of peace and civility again?
- Asimov, I. 1955. Franchise, first published in the magazine “If: Worlds of Science Fiction.” August 1955 and later in 1989 as a standalone book. https://www.fantasticfiction.com/a/isaac-asimov/franchise.htm. Retrieved September 17, 2018.
- Baumeister, Roy, and Mark Leary. 1995. The Need to Belong: Desire for Interpersonal Attachments as a Fundamental Human Motivation. Psychological Bulletin, American Psychological Association. http://persweb.wabash.edu/facstaff/hortonr/articles%20for%20class/baumeister%20and%20leary.pdf. Retrieved September 24, 2018.
- Brownstone, David, and Irene Frank. 1996. Timelines of War. New York: Little, Brown.Google Scholar
- Cawthon, Lang K.A. 2011. Primate Factsheet: Bonobo Behavior. Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin. http://pin.primate.wisc.edu/factsheets/entry/bonobo/behav. Retrieved September 11, 2018.
- Dowe, Darin. 2011. Gangs: Slang, Words, Symbols. Hendon Media Group. http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=1402. Retrieved September 13, 2018.
- Dreyfuss, Emily. (2018). Smart Phone Voting Is Happening, but No One Knows If It’s Safe. Wired, San Francisco, CA, August 9. https://www.wired.com/story/smartphone-voting-is-happening-west-virginia?mbid=nl_08122018_daily_list3_p1&CNDID=46249697. Retrieved September 17, 2018.
- Eisenberger, N., M.D. Liberman and K.D. Williams, 2003. “Does Rejection Hurt? An FMRI Study of Social Exclusion.” https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Lieberman%20MD%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=14551436. Retrieved May 25, 2019.
- Gordon, Theodore, and David Greenspan. 1994. The Management of Chaotic Systems. Technological Forecasting and Social Change 47 (1): 49–62. https://doi.org/10.1016/0040-1625(94)90039-6. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0040162594900396. Retrieved September 25, 2018.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Henschel, Johannes, and John Skinner. 1991. Territorial Behavior by a Clan of Spotted Hyenas, Ethology, January–December. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1439-0310.1991.tb00277.x. Retrieved September 11, 2018.
- Jones, Tim. 1948. Dewey Defeats. Chicago, IL: Chicago Tribune, November 3. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/chi-chicagodays-deweydefeats-story-story.html. Retrieved September 13, 2018.
- Millennials. 2010. A Portrait of Generation Next: Confident, Connected, Open to Change, Pew Research Center, February. http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2010/02/24/millennials-confident-connected-open-to-change/. Retrieved September 21, 2018.
- Stiffer, Linda. 2011. Understanding Orca Culture. Smithsonian Magazine, August. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/understanding-orca-culture-12494696/. Retrieved September 11, 2018.
- Vasquez, John A. 1995. Why Do Neighbors Fight? Proximity, Interaction, or Territoriality. Journal of Peace Research 32 (3, August). https://www.jstor.org/stable/425665?newaccount=true&read-now=1&seq=3#metadata_info_tab_contents. Retrieved September 24, 2018.
- Welker, Barbara. 2017. Primate Social Organization, an Introduction to Paleoanthropology. Milne library. https://milnepublishing.geneseo.edu/the-history-of-our-tribe-hominini/chapter/primate-social-organization/. Retrieved September 11, 2018.