Generating Facies Probabilities by Integrating Spatial and Frequency Analyses
Facies analysis typically focuses on geological descriptions and physical characteristics of deposits. It has typically been emphasized in exploration and appraisal, including prospect generation and reservoir delineation. Facies modeling can be useful in both exploration and field development. In practice, because of limited core and well-log-derived facies data, there have been disconnects between facies analysis and modeling, which can lead to a geologically unrealistic model. It is important to integrate facies analysis into facies modeling for field development.
This chapter presents generations of facies spatial propensity maps, vertical propensity curves and integrated facies analysis using geological conceptual models. The generation of facies probabilities by integrating their fieldwide descriptions and local data at wells is instrumental in bridging the gap between facies analysis and modeling for building realistic facies models.
- Bloch A. (1991). The complete Murphy’s law: A definitive collection, Rev. Edn. Los Angeles: Price Stern Sloan.Google Scholar
- Ma, Y. Z., Seto A., & Gomez, E. (2008). Frequentist meets spatialist: A marriage made in reservoir characterization and modeling: SPE 115836, SPE ATCE, Denver, CO.Google Scholar
- Mitchum, R. M., Vail, P. R., & Thompson, S., III. (1977). Seismic stratigraphy and global changes of sea level: Part 2. The depositional sequence as a basic unit for stratigraphic analysis. AAPG Memoir, 26, 53–62.Google Scholar
- Moore, C. H. (2001). Carbonate Reservoirs: Porosity evolution and diagenesis in a sequence stratigraphic framework. Amsterdam: Elsevier, 444p.Google Scholar
- Popper, K. R. (1995). A world of propensities, Reprinted, Bristol Thoemmes, 51p.Google Scholar
- Schlager, W. (1992). Sedimentology and sequence stratigraphy of reefs and carbonate platforms (AAPG continuing education course notes series) (Vol. 34). Tulsa: American Association of Petroleum Geologists, 71p.Google Scholar
- Vail, P. R., & Mitchum, R. M. (1977). Seismic stratigraphy and global changes of sea level: Part 1. Overview. In Seismic stratigraphy – Applications to hydrocarbon exploration (AAPG Memoir 26). Tulsa: American Association of Petroleum Geologists.Google Scholar