Energy Business in Gambia: An Industry Review for Theoretical and Practical Implications
Based on the case study approach, this chapter precises the structural foundation of the Gambian energy sector to understand how the sector has become a key contributor of the Gambian economy. However, the sector encounters significant socio-economic challenges, the Gambian government’s revitalization policy has appeared instrumental to encounter the challenges. Following the recent trade and service liberalization policy, the energy sector, which has been very narrow for many years, in terms of its governance structure and contribution to the economy, is now moving positively forward with continuous investment opportunities. Private sector investment and further energy market development positively impact on the growth of the sector to help reducing the challenges of insecurity and unemployment in Gambia. The theoretical implications of this revitalization policy are discussed.
- Castaneda, M., Jimenez, M., Zapata, S., Franco, C. J., & Dyner, I. (2017). Myths and Facts of the Utility Death Spiral. Energy, 110, 105–116.Google Scholar
- Christofi, M., Vrontis, D., Leonidou, E., & Thrassou, A. (2018). Customer Engagement Through the Choice in Cause-Related Marketing: A Potential for Global Competitiveness. International Marketing Review. Published in Ahead of Print. https://doi.org/10.1108/IMR-04-2018-0133.
- Cuts International. (2008). Briefing Paper – Services, Trade and Domestic Regulation in Gambia. Retrieved from http://www.cuts-citee.org/pdf/BP08-WTO-3.pdf. Accessed 28 Nov 2018.
- ECOWAS. (2016). Retrieved from http://www.ecowas.int/specialized-agencies/ecowas-centre-for-renewable-energy-and-energy-efficiencyecreee/. Accessed 16 Aug 2018.
- Elfaki, K. E., Poernomo, A., Anwar, N., & Ahmad, A. A. (2018). Energy Consumption end Economic Growth: Empirical Evidence from Sudan. International Journal of Energy Economics and Policy, 8(5), 35–41.Google Scholar
- Energy Data. (2018). Gambia. Retrieved from http://gambia.opendataforafrica.org/cxoxwg/global-energy-statistics. Accessed 5 Dec 2018.
- Gambia Investment and Export Promotion Agency. (2017). Retrieved from http://www.giepa.gm. Accessed 21 Oct 2018.
- Gambia Renewal Energy Center. (n.d.). http://www.gambia.gm/Energysector.htm. Accessed 25 Jun 2017.
- Laws, N. D., Epps, B. P., Peterson, S. O., Laser, M. S., & Wanjiru, K. (2017). On the Utility Death Spiral and the Impact of Utility Rate Structures on the Adoption of Residential Solar Photovoltaics and Energy Storage. Energy, 185(1), 627–641.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Energy. (2005). The Gambian Energy Sector. Banjul: Ministry of Energy, Gambia.Google Scholar
- National Water and Electricity Company. (n.d.). Retrieved from www.nawec.gm. Accessed 10 Sep 2018.
- Public Utility and Utility Regulatory Authority. (n.d.). Retrieved from www.pura.gm. Accessed 12 Aug 2018.
- Renewables Readiness Assessment. (2013). International Renewable Energy Agency – Report on the Gambian Renewables Readiness Assessment – 2013. Banjul: Ministry of Energy, Gambia.Google Scholar
- The Electricity Act. (2005). The Energy Policy. Banjul: Ministry of Energy, Gambia.Google Scholar
- The Public Utility and Utility Regulatory Authority Act. (2001). The Energy Policy. Banjul: Ministry of Energy, Gambia.Google Scholar
- Tolbert, P. S., & Zucker, L. G. (1996). The Institutionalization of Institutional Theory. In S. R. Clegg, C. Hardy, & W. R. Nord (Eds.), Handbook of Organization Studies (pp. 175–190). London: Sage.Google Scholar
- UNDP. (2016). Country Report – The Gambia 2016. Retrieved from http://hdr.undp.org/sites/all/themes/hdr_theme/country-notes/GMB.pdf. Accessed 16 Apr 2018.
- Vassakis, K., Sakka, G., & Lemonakis, C. (2018). Demystification of the Glass Ceiling Phenomenon: Gender Stereotyping and Successful Managers’ Personality Traits in Greece. EuroMed Journal of Business 13, 2. Published Online Ahead of Print. https://doi.org/10.1108/EMJB-06-2017-0023.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- World Bank. (2011). Retrieved from http://pubdocs.worldbank.org/en/683101443469734236/Global-Economic-Prospects-January-2011-Navigating-strong-currents.pdf. Accessed 20 Oct 2017.
- World Bank. (2016). The Gambia Economic Outlook 2016. Retrieved from https://www.worldbank.org/en/country/gambia/overview. Accessed 15 Nov 2018.