Africans in the Diaspora-The Hidden Force: Economics, Investment, Skilled Workforce and Public Health
The Ebola epidemic outbreak in West Africa (2013–2016) left few Africans indifferent. A significant group that contributed appreciably towards the containment of the epidemic was Diaporan Africans. In this chapter we highlight the contribution of Africans living outside the continent, especially during the West African Ebola epidemic outbreak. Their contributions complemented, in many ways, the efforts on the ground to contain the epidemic in West Africa. This chapter includes the personal narratives of two diasporans: Dr. Marion Koso-Thomas, an African Diasporan in the United States and Dr. Muhammed Afolabi, an African Diasporan in Africa but living outside his home country.
KeywordsAfricans Diaspora Dispersal Brain drain Brain gain Social media
- African Development Bank Group. (2015). Remittances from West Africa’s Diaspora: Financial and social transfers for regional development. https://www.afdb.org/en/blogs/measuring-the-pulse-of-economic-transformation-in-west-africa/post/remittances-from-west-africas-diaspora-financial-and-socialtransfers-for-regional-development-14614/. Accessed June 2019.
- African Union. (n.d.). The diaspora division. https://au.int/en/diaspora-division
- Afro-European Research and Medical Research Network. (n.d.). http://www.aemrnetwork.ch/index.php/en/
- Ages, A. (2011). The diaspora dimension. Netherlands: Springer Netherlands.Google Scholar
- Butty, J. (2014a). Liberia diaspora mobilizing for Ebola relief. Washington, DC: Federal Information & News Dispatch, Inc.Google Scholar
- Butty, J. (2014b). VP urges diaspora Liberians to help educate relatives about Ebola. Lanham: Federal Information & News Dispatch.Google Scholar
- Chikezie, C. (2015, June). The Ebola crisis and Sierra Leone, humanitarian practice network. Retrieved from http://odihpn.org/magazine/the-ebola-crisis-and-the-sierra-leone-diaspora/
- Ethiopian Ministry of External Affairs. (2013). Diaspora Policy. Retrieved from http://www.ethiopianembassy.org/PDF/diaspora%20policy.pdf
- Ketkar, S. L., & Ratha, D. (2011). VIEWPOINT: Diaspora bonds for funding education. Migration Letters, 8(2), 153–172. Retrieved from http://library.capella.edu/login?url=https://search-proquest-com.library.capella.edu/docview/1268704155?accountid=27965.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Merriam-Webster. (n.d.). https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/diaspora
- Migration and Remittances: Fact book 2011 World Bank. (2014). African diaspora. https://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTDIASPORA/Resources/AFR_Diaspora_FAQ.pdf
- Online Etymololgy Dictionary. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.etymonline.com/
- The World Bank. (2012). African diaspora program. News & broadcasts. Retrieved from http://web.worldbank.org/archive/website01363/WEB/0__CO-81.HTM
- Walton, A. (2014). Grassroots social media campaign aims to raise $1 million in the Ebola fight. Forbes. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2014/10/21/social-media-campaigns-to-stop-ebola-gain-strength-celebrity-support/#1a86eab1fe1e.
- World Bank Group. (2017, October). Migration and development brief 28 migration and remittances: Recent developments and outlook special topic: Return migration October 2017. https://www.afdb.org/en/blogs/measuring-the-pulse-of-economic-transformation-in-west-africa/post/remittances-from-west-africas-diaspora-financial-and-social-transfers-for-regional-development-14614/