Introduction to Part II: The Early Belgian Car Industry
In this chapter, the first prominent Belgian carmakers of the early twentieth century are discussed. The chapter then explains how the Belgium Government’s decision to appease Ford and General Motors by dramatically cutting import duties on American components, ultimately led to the demise of domestic brand car production in the country in 1949. For ease of use, frequently referenced tables in Chaps. 4, 5, 6, 7. and 8—Tables 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3—are placed at the end of this chapter.
- Audi Brussels (2018) VW/Audi Brussels Production and Employment, 1949–2017. Unpublished data from Corporate Communications, October 2017 and 30 April 2018.Google Scholar
- Belgique Automobile (2012) La Belgique Automobile, http://belgiqueautomobile.blogspot.be/, last 22 September 2017.
- Belgium (2017–2018) Author Site Visits, Factory Tours, and Correspondents with Government Officials, Firm Representatives, and Academics in Belgium, 15 March 2017 to 3 September 2018.Google Scholar
- Bloomfield G (1978) The World Automotive Industry (North Pomfret, VT. David & Charles, Inc.).Google Scholar
- Ford Belgium (2017) Annual Production Data for Ford Genk, 1964–2014. Unpublished data obtained from Ford Motor Company (Belgium) NV/SA.Google Scholar
- Freyssenet M (2018a) Les Effectifs des Usines d’Assemblage du Groupe Renault a l’etnranger, 1941–2017, http://www.freyssenet.com/, last 26 August.
- Freyssenet M (2018b) La Production du Groupe Renault par pays (Vehicules Particuliers et Petits Utilitaires), 1945–2017, http://www.freyssenet.com/, last 26 August.
- Georgano N, ed. (2000) The Beaulieu Encyclopedia of the Automobile, Vol. 1 and 2 (Chicago: Fitzroy Dearborn).Google Scholar
- GME (2001–2009) GM in Europe: Overview/Facts & Figures, 2000 to 2008 (Russelsheim: GM Europe Communications).Google Scholar
- Opel (2010–2018) Opel in Europe Facts and Figures: Year in Review, for 2009–2017 (Russelsheim, Germany: Opel Corporate Communications).Google Scholar
- Opel Belgium (2019) Production and Employment Data for Opel Noorderlaan Plants 1 and 2, 1945–2009. Unpublished data obtained from Corporate Communications, 5 February.Google Scholar
- Volvo Belgium (2017) Volvo Gent Annual Car Production and Employment. Unpublished data obtained from Corporate Communications, 5 May.Google Scholar
- Ward’s (1956–2018). Ward’s Automotive Yearbook, 1956 to 2018 (Detroit: Ward’s Communications).Google Scholar
- Ward’s (2014) Ward’s World Motor Vehicle Data 2014 (Detroit: Ward’s Communications).Google Scholar